Do you backup ROM before flashing a new kernel?

1. otter

otter Well-Known Member

Do most people always backup the ROM, w/ ROM manager before installing new kernels?

Also is there a way to set the number of backups you keep w/ ROM manager?

Advertisement
  2. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

Always. Backups are limited to your storage on the SD card.
  3. freddyb

freddyb Active Member

I never back up a ROM, period. I change ROMs about twice a week.
  4. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

I never back up switching Kernels. But I always do whenever I switch ROMs.
  5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I dont backup when switching kernels but I always have a kernel that I know works on my sdcard so if I get in a bootloop I have another option.
  6. Da Teej Masta

Da Teej Masta Member

This.
  7. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I don't backup when switching kernels ... but ALWAYS before installing a new ROM.

You'd never make it in an IT Dept. Backups rule!
  9. freddyb

freddyb Active Member

Thank God, I'd probably shoot myself. One of our software engineers was tapped to temporarily fill in as our IT department and he spends half of his time running around the office dealing with other peoples piddly computer problems. He's been on it for 3 years now. Looks like he has aged 10.

Good advice to keep some known-good ROMs/kernels in a folder on the SD card. I use that approach as well.
  10. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

The reason I always do is for the wireless. Some kernels include files for their specific kernel. If you flash another kernel which doesn't have a wifi driver with it, then your wifi is messed up and it's hard to get back to stock. It's not hard and I delete old backups once a week or so.
  11. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member

backup is essential anytime you flash anything....clockwork takes longer to backup than sprecovery, don't know why, never thought to find out, but better to have to restore than rebuild....
  12. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

If I don't have a recent good backup of my current setup, I'll do a backup when flashing a new kernel. But once I get a ROM/kernel combo working just the way I want it I'll usually do a backup at that time so when I want to flash a new ROM or new kernel I don't have to do a backup at that time
  13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I completely disagree. I have like 2 backups that I know are good and if I find something else I like I make a backup of that. But to say is essential anytime you flash anything is an overstatement. Having at least 1 good backup that you like is essential on the other hand

In terms of kernels as long as you have a kernel on your sdcard that you are sure works then there is really no reason to backup before flashing a kernel. You can always just boot into recovery and flash the known good kernel. If you dont have a good kernel then yes I would say backup.

In terms flashing other stuff backingup can be even less essential. If you really like your current setup then yea back that up. If you are changing cause its not working right then there is no reason to backup as long as you have a backup that you know works.

Sorry Joe Im not trying to call you out it just seems like the necessity of backing up is being overstated recently. If I backed up every time I flashed something my backup folder would be a disaster.