• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you believe these stories?

Mdraej99

Android Enthusiast
May 22, 2012
Maryland
We have all seen the first few phones that were damaged before Samsung did the voluntary recall. All were in houses.. Nothing damaged but the phone. The phones didn't get any worse but since the news of the recall and grand ideas of possible payday it seems like the damage caused by the same phones has gotten 100 times worse! Or did I miss something?

Seems to me that sufficient word has been put out about the Note 7's hazards, and it's realistic to think that Samsung would deny any future damage claims since users have been advised to turn off their phones and stop using them. If users continue to use them, they assume the risk. I'm not a lawyer, of course, but Samsung would have a compelling defense.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that a "recall" involves removing the defective product from the public to ensure that minimal safety standards are met.

Samsung issued a "voluntary" recall, which I don't believe negates any responsibility on their part. Even the now "mandatory" recall requires that the manufacturer remove the defective product, or fix it.

I'm no lawyer, but I have a feeling there are going to be tidal waves lawsuits pending given how poorly this entire ordeal has been managed.

Eg. A home where the only phone is their n7. If they turn it off and an emergency occurs they are left without any means of altering anybody. This is potentially far worse than the phone starting on fire.

I don't know why Samsung didn't just take the reigns and just run down the activated IMEI's and send out replacements direct. Or better yet, push a firmware upgrade that regulates battery temperature effectively.

Reactions: Mdraej99
Upvote 0
As it turns out, a Note 7 did not explode in a 6-year-old's hands. It wasn't a Note 7... it was a Core Prime! :eek:

http://www.androidcentral.com/no-galaxy-note-7-did-not-explode-hands-child

If this bears out to be true, and it was the original Samsung battery, then Samsung has a much bigger problem on its hands than one model. They've already lost $26 BILLION in market share over this.

EDIT: Yep, they now have a much bigger problem on their hands. Here's a story of an S7 exploding... and it wasn't even charging!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17721...in-teachers-hands-in-the-middle-of-busy-cafe/

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdraej99
Upvote 0
Now stop making read all these dang comments i have to leave my note 7 plugged in in my hot car in the sun so i can get a new truck on samsung seriously i think some peolpe are doing stuff to the to make it catch fire,but mine is plugged to the charger laying on my bed in front of me while typing this and she is nice and cool to the touch [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hell i am around RC cars and seen the lipo batteries burn up yes burn up not explode lol and just last year i was at my camper and had a nice camp fire going and i had my old laptop there thinking i should burn this so into the fire she went lithium ion and all and all it did was make a bright white light (i swear brighter them the sun)and no explosions so i some of these claims are real are beyond me.

Upvote 0
Samsung rep at best buy says international chipset allows overcharging whereas Qualcomm chipset in US phones doesn't. Car that burned was faulty cig lighter. They expect replacements this weekend

I don't buy that story from the rep. N7 is recalled in Japan, and N7 there is Qualcomm chipset. N7 uses Qualcomm Snapdragon rather than Samsung Exynos in US, China and Japan, for compatibility with CDMA networks AFAIK. Same with the S7 as well.

Upvote 0
Hell i am around RC cars and seen the lipo batteries burn up yes burn up not explode lol and just last year i was at my camper and had a nice camp fire going and i had my old laptop there thinking i should burn this so into the fire she went lithium ion and all and all it did was make a bright white light (i swear brighter them the sun)and no explosions so i some of these claims are real are beyond me.

I've seen plenty of videos of Lipo batteries combusting, they don't literally explode...BANG!...from what I've seen, it's more like a roman candle or a small flare going off. However it's not something you want anywhere near you when it does happen, or near anything flammable. RC models are usually outside in a field or something, i.e. a wide open space, so if the Lipo battery does burn up, it's probably only the RC car, plane, helicopter, drone, etc, that's damaged or destroyed and nothing else.

Was it about 10 years ago, a lot of laptops(including Sony Vaio, Asus, Dell and Apple) that used Sony manufactured batteries were recalled, because of unsafe batteries and reported burn ups.

Around here, there's a heck of a lot of electric bikes and trikes, I ride one myself, but most of them have gel lead-acid batteries. Very heavy, but on the other hand they're not likely to burn up by accident or manufacturing defect. And they work in extremes of temperatures as well, like below 0C, Lipo batteries do not

Last edited:
Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
Now a Note 7 burst into flames in a guys pocket? So it no longer has to be on the charger?
c48915b7a60bf4c99c4120564058c287.jpg

Upvote 0
Why are we still talking about these battery issues. It is over! Some have already gotten new Note 7's already. We will get ours on Wednesday! Let's move on. Not going to let others fears get me going.

I'm just wondering if these people are lying... Not so much about the fear! Hate to see people get a big pay day for a lie!

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering if these people are lying... Not so much about the fear! Hate to see people get a big pay day for a lie!
We can speculate, but that's all we can do. And the speculation is based on very limited information, filtered through media sources who, in some cases, will prefer the most dramatic description (hence e.g. talk of explosions rather than fires). Let the professionals assess the claims and we'll see how that comes out (or not, if that doesn't make for a very interesting story).

Reactions: SolApathy
Upvote 0
Well for one everyone is saying exploding and that is not the case,the battery does not explode it catches fire period. Hell watch the youtube video from jerry rig everything do you seriously think he would be poking at the battery it it was going to explode 4 inches from his hand? Plus like i said beforebi put my old laptop in the fire at my camper and it was extremely hot and the battery did not explode it just burnt and made a really cool bright white light that u could not stare at. I put plenty of batteries in the fire and never had one explode (now an inhaler can by accident will scare the ....out of you lol)but not a melting battery. I can all but guarantee if samsung would let you put you Note 7 in and fire it would not explode

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones