Do you have a tip/trick for ICS? Post it here.Tips

1. Xigalu

Xigalu Active Member

Thank you.
    Even with Light Flow it wasn't working, but I reinstalled it and it seems to be working now.:)
  2. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

Regarding Lightflow, it's a great app but I did run into a deal-breaking problem with it:

If you have Lightflow installed, then ONLY the apps you have enabled in the app will blink the LED. Apps that aren't in the Lightflow app (of if you choose not to use Lightflow for certain apps) will not blink the LED even if they are enabled.

Here are the two specific problems I ran into:

1) Google Voice. I use Google Voice just for Voicemail, but I don't see an option in Lightflow for it. And the regular "Voicemail" control in Lightflow does not work for Google Voice. Now of course Google Voice has it's own setting for LED notification, but if does not work while Lightflow is installed. If I uninstall Lightflow, then the LED will light again for Google Voice.

2) K-9 Mail. Now there IS a setting in Lightflow for K-9 but I don't want to use it because it doesn't appear that you can change the color of the LED for different accounts in Lightflow like you can within the K-9 app itself. But if I turn off the K-9 control in Lightflow, then the LED will not light up when K-9 gets an e-mail (even though it is set to light up in K-9 itself).

In summary, it appears that Lightflow takes complete control of all of your LED notifications even if a certain app is not supported of if you choose not to use Lightflow for certain apps.

Anyone else run into this?
  3. Smartphone

Smartphone Well-Known Member

OK- I think CM has me spoiled. I am used to being able to change my icons on both my apps and folders. Has anyone found a way to do this in ICS?

Thanks
  4. atrain311

atrain311 Well-Known Member

OTD, so if I'm not gaming on my phone I probably don't need to worry about this option much? Thanks again!
  5. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member

Contact Management

This was one the herp derps at vzw were totally stumped on (surprised?):

When syncing your contacts, to remove the garbage contacts that gmail pulls through, simply tap at the very top to choose which contacts to display. If this option isn't at the top of your contacts screen, you probably are set to "all contacts". Open up how you normally would in your display contacts options, and select whatever you have synced up (gmail) then try again.

For some reason, I believe the phone after time, sorts out your contacts for you, only displaying those with numbers. I cannot seem to get mine to display all the loose data as well as solid contacts.
  6. OldMuttonHead

OldMuttonHead Well-Known Member

Never tried to long press the back button to get to the bookmarks. That was one of my complaints was that it seemed like the bookmarks were buried. That solves that problem!! Thanks!!
    Protonus likes this.
  7. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member

Drag and Drop

Granted your drivers installed correctly (mine tried to find 3 different drivers and failed one), your Nexus should read on Windows 7 like a media device. You can open it up and drag and drop files, just like you would if your SD card was mounted. Don't know why people are having so many issues with this, but I've put it here to let you know it IS possible. I've already sideloaded a few apps this way, as well as transferred my picture albums.
    QuickDraw23 likes this.
  8. RazorSharp

RazorSharp Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to disable all the haptic feedback on the screen? Not the buttons, just when typing on the keyboard.
  9. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Settings > Language & input > Settings (next to Android Keyboard) and uncheck Vibrate on keypress.
    RazorSharp likes this.
  10. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

You may or may not know this, but I just did this by accident, and was amazed.

Drag an app to the quick launch bar at the bottom of the screen. Now drag another app to the same location. It creates a folder there with both apps. Click the folder and both apps pop up just like on the home screen.

No idea if this will actually be useful or not. Just thought it was cool. You can have access to more than 5 common apps from any home screen page.

Joe
  11. Mabashi

Mabashi Well-Known Member

I've noticed something weird with this when I was testing this with quadrant. With the 2d graphic acceleration off the fps is much lower on the 2d graphic test, however the overall quadrant score was about 200 higher than it was with the graphics acceleration on.
  12. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

It's because tests are completely rubbish. Stop testing your phone and use it. ;)
    jrob007 and xGalaxyNexusx like this.
  13. Mabashi

Mabashi Well-Known Member

I have been using it and enjoying it. This was the first time I ran quadrant on it, just so I could see what difference the graphics acceleration does. :D
  14. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

Graphics acceleration completely screws up launcher pro.

If you have an app that isn't working (such as tasker), go into accessibility to see if it needs to be checked.
    stang6790 and RazorSharp like this.
  15. NOVAdroid2151

NOVAdroid2151 Well-Known Member

People are encountering the problem because they are not using the USB cable that came with the Nexus. I had this problem when I first attempted it as well. I used my old Motorola Droid X USB cable and it would not recognize the Nexus. I switched USB cables, and it worked flawlessly.

Good luck!
    taDROID, breadnatty08 and eyc like this.
  16. Khatmandu

Khatmandu Well-Known Member

While taking advantage of OTD's tip to keep apps from automatically installing on the desktop, I notice there is a setting in the Market that will force apps to only update over wifi. Might be a very useful thing for folks with limited data.
    Webelos8, lolage, Mr. Link and 3 others like this.
  17. RubberDucker

RubberDucker Well-Known Member

Anyone figure out how to change the way People are displayed in the People Tab of the Phone App?

Mine displays 6 people per screen... really big. I prefer a List type display of my "Favorites" or a smaller version of the way it is doing it...

I haven't been able to find a way to change it.

Anyone else?

Thanks!
    Protonus likes this.
  18. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member

That is so strange. I took your advice and switched from my Incredible usb cable to the Samsung cable, and boom. It works - whereas, before, I got nada.

Many thanks!
  19. JustinHEMI

JustinHEMI Well-Known Member

Tip: This thread should be "Official" and stickied. :)
    xGalaxyNexusx and MoPhoMan like this.
  20. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member

Uninstall apps directly from the app tray. Just press and hold any app, and the option will appear at the top.

***I'm an idiot - this was in the second post.***
  21. whitesoxwin

whitesoxwin Member

It's my understanding that it actually helps in a lot of apps - for one I've noticed that scrolling is much smoother in the official Twitter app with this setting turned on. For now I'm leaving "force GPU rendering" enabled. Anyone else?
  22. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

one thing i've been enjoying (although fairly useless) is the developers option at the bottom of settings, I've enabled show touches, which is actually fairly useful to help adjust to the keyboard(if you watch it, you can actually see where you are pressing easier.)
  23. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I used the cable from my X and it worked just fine.
  24. APKhaos

APKhaos Well-Known Member

Cable from my DInc works fine too.
  25. have24

have24 Active Member

I'm not a big fan of that either. Wish they could just have a heading "Favorites" with the list of your favorites below it kind of like they have a heading "frequently called" with a list of people there.

Also, does anyone know how to show contacts with phone numbers only?
    xGalaxyNexusx, DoodleD and steevo1 like this.