• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you have a tip/trick for ICS? Post it here.

W/ launcher pro, the move to ICS was easy, the environment was the same where it counted. I love my new Nexus....just an issue which a fix was provided in another section....

I have trouble w/ the number pad using the speaker, couldn't login to my bank acct or voice mail....learned to shut the speaker off, input the numbers and turn the speaker back on....works great....just shouldn't have to do this. I saw the post yesterday....apparently someone in Verizon did too because tech supp knew about the work around, they didn't last week, Cyn

Upvote 0
You can effectively "tag" bookmarks in Chrome desktop, and now with Chrome Beta for ICS you can use that functionality effectively from your handheld. If you're like me, you have over 1,000 bookmarks in the cloud, and folders and subfolders aren't good enough at navigating through many of them. (I have about 15 most frequent ones on the bookmarks bar, of course)

Tip: Hashtagging bookmarks in Chrome Beta for ICS. Edit your Chrome bookmarks from desktop by clicking the yellow star. Go to the end of the "name" of the bookmark and add hashtag words. I use #accounts for anything that has to do with a money or billing account. I use #android for android sites. And sot on. (You can retrieve them from the omnibar this way). Then, in Chrome Beta for ICS, go to Menu>Bookmarks. Choose the button in the lower right ( looks like a folder syncing up and down) and you can sync with your Chrome account. Type the hashtag (#accounts) in the url bar, and retrieve any of the bookmarks you've tagged this way.

Upvote 0
in ICS stock, all your searches are synchronized between mobile and desktop (at least chrome desktop) in real time. So when you open search box you'll find latest searches from the desktop.

Now with Chrome beta mobile is possible to sync all the open tabs of chrome desktop: go to menu - other devices.
You'll see your others PCs

Upvote 0
I won't put this in blue because it's not specifically an ICS tip, but for anyone who hasn't used it, one of the best things about the Swype keyboard is being able to shift into 'edit mode' by swiping to the right over the two bottom-left keys. This displays four arrow keys, select/copy/paste/delete, cursor jump (great to select a large block of text at one time), end, home, forward/reverse delete, etc. This works in any text entry box, so it gives you full editing even in apps (like SMS) that don't provide it or where it's more limited. Frankly, even if I just used Swype for regular key-by-key typing, I'd still want it for this feature alone!

Swype keyboard also has built-in cut/copy/paste gestures:

Copy: select the text by double-tapping on the word or do the Select-all gesture, then Swype from the Swype key to the 'c' key.
Cut: select the text, then Swype from the Swype key to the 'x' key.
Paste: Swype from the Swype key to the 'v' key to paste.

Upvote 0
The Google Voice Search button is a very powerful tool.

Was visiting Dana Point, CA and a friend wanted to eat at a restaurant called Harpoon Henry's. He started looking around for a phone book to call for reservations. I touched the Google Voice Search button and said "Call Harpoon Henry's in Dana Point". My friend turned around with a sour look and said "No $hit, what do you think I'm trying to do!" At that point, I was connected to the restaurant and making the reservation. It was the best moment yet on the Nexus!

Upvote 0
And after you get to vibrate, push down one more time to enter silent mode. I love this feature.

Funny this is exactly how my OLD mono-color analog flip phone from the late 90's was. Then phones tried to be all fancy and got rid of the basic useful features....and I guess like all things retro, they're coming back slowly in a fancier shell.

Upvote 0
Swype keyboard also has built-in cut/copy/paste gestures:

Copy: select the text by double-tapping on the word or do the Select-all gesture, then Swype from the Swype key to the 'c' key.
Cut: select the text, then Swype from the Swype key to the 'x' key.
Paste: Swype from the Swype key to the 'v' key to paste.

ahhh that is sweet if only swype had the prediction and spell correct of swiftkey... that is the only thing keeping me from swype again

Upvote 0
I got some questions on the developer option setting. Sorry if this was discussed before.

First, what does "don't keep the activities" do? Frankly I didn't notice any difference when I tried it in terms of background process, battery life. And I'm not sure what's the difference between this setting and "background process limit".

Second, do I need to check on "Force GPU rendering" to use GPU based UI acceleration? I have kept it unchecked so far, but I don't feel UI any sluggish yet.

Upvote 0
I got some questions on the developer option setting. Sorry if this was discussed before.

First, what does "don't keep the activities" do? Frankly I didn't notice any difference when I tried it in terms of background process, battery life. And I'm not sure what's the difference between this setting and "background process limit".

Second, do I need to check on "Force GPU rendering" to use GPU based UI acceleration? I have kept it unchecked so far, but I don't feel UI any sluggish yet.

There options are not meant for everyday stable ICS use.... They are build in nexus options given to the developers so we can get it running on other devices barebone and then add all the bells and. Whistles later

The force ui acceleration is again a dev option that should be clicked and what it does is forest. The gpu and. Processor to keep it running smoothly when multi tasking.... And that is adoption you don't want if you are in development of ICS cuz if it is not stable it can crash the rom causing reboots

Hope that helped

Upvote 0
Haven't read through this whole thread.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get txt messages to pop up on the lock screen? I like the stock messenger app, but I don't enjoy having to unlock my phone, then slide top down to get into the msg.

I used handcent on my Dinc, but that was mostly because I didn't like anything Sense. I'm hoping there is a way to get pop ups on the lock screen with stock... Wishful thinking?

Upvote 0
Haven't read through this whole thread.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get txt messages to pop up on the lock screen? I like the stock messenger app, but I don't enjoy having to unlock my phone, then slide top down to get into the msg.

I used handcent on my Dinc, but that was mostly because I didn't like anything Sense. I'm hoping there is a way to get pop ups on the lock screen with stock... Wishful thinking?

you don't have to unlock. when you receive a SMS, just slide down the notification bar :)

Upvote 0
1. Use Lightflow to control your LED notification light - I see a lot of complaints in the reviews from users about the LED light

2. Separating the ringtone from notifications- this took forever for me to figure out (perhaps I was missing something).
- Settings --> sounds--> notification set to silent
- d/l My Profiles and change the notification sounds to what I want for each profile

- This was rather important for me as I'm on call at night frequently and need my phone volume on but don't want to hear emails/texts

Like I said, maybe I was missing something, but I could not separate it any other way

Thank you for this. This has to be one of the most annoying features on this Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. If you are on-call, you want the phone to ring but don't want to get woke up by notifications or emails. It should not take you 1-2 minutes every night to silence your phone... This works awesome! Thank you!!! Brandon

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by 4424
1. Use Lightflow to control your LED notification light - I see a lot of complaints in the reviews from users about the LED light

2. Separating the ringtone from notifications- this took forever for me to figure out (perhaps I was missing something).
- Settings --> sounds--> notification set to silent
- d/l My Profiles and change the notification sounds to what I want for each profile

- This was rather important for me as I'm on call at night frequently and need my phone volume on but don't want to hear emails/texts

Like I said, maybe I was missing something, but I could not separate it any other way

I just turn off sync when I go to bed?
One tap on the home screen, one more when I wake up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones