• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you have a tip/trick for ICS? Post it here.

I follow a few people on Google+ that I never talk to. I mainly follow them because they post interesting news articles about software development, and I like reading them.

Anyway, because they were in my Google+ circle, they were appearing in my Google Talk friends list.

If you want to remove someone from your Google Talk list, follow these steps:
  1. Select the person you wish to remove. This will open up a chat window where you would normally type a message.
  2. Click the menu button (the three dots) in the top right corner.
  3. Select "Friend Info".
  4. On the bottom of the screen, you will see a "Remove" button.

I would also like to note that after I did this, I didn't see the change take place until I logged out of Google Talk and logged back in.

Upvote 0
2 questions?

1. where do i find the stock led notifications for email? dont see it where i can change colors or even activate it?

2. how do i add a web page as a shortcut on my homescreen? i dont want the youtube app, i want to have a shortcut to the youtube mobile site?:thinking:

1. To manage all of my LED notifications, I use an app called Light Flow (I use the free version). This app allows you to set the LED color, the LED flash frequency, etc. etc.

2. To add a web page as a shortcut, first add it as a bookmark. Then you have two options:
  • If you are in the browser, go to your bookmarks, long press on the bookmark you want to add, and select "Add shortcut to home".
  • If you are at the homescreen, open your app drawer, go to the widgets section, and drag a bookmark widget to the home screen. After you do this, it will ask you to pick a bookmark you would like to use.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
If you go to settings, then apps, then all, you can find the three pre-installed Verizon apps(My Verizon Mobile, Verizon Login, VZ Backup Assistant) and disable them. This will stop them from ever starting up on their own and taking up ram or processing time. This also hides them from the app drawer.

This essentially makes the phone equivalent to being completely vanilla save the few megabytes of space they take up that you'll never miss anyway, the apps are effectively gone and you can forget about them for good.

Upvote 0
If you go to settings, then apps, then all, you can find the three pre-installed Verizon apps(My Verizon Mobile, Verizon Login, VZ Backup Assistant) and disable them. This will stop them from ever starting up on their own and taking up ram or processing time. This also hides them from the app drawer.

This essentially makes the phone equivalent to being completely vanilla save the few megabytes of space they take up that you'll never miss anyway, the apps are effectively gone and you can forget about them for good.
What exactly is Verizon Login? I also see it in the applications list but it doesn't show up on the app drawer.

Upvote 0
To anyone playing around with the Settings, I have a warning...

Under "Developer Options", do not turn on the "Show Screen Updates". The description says that it flashes areas of the screen when they update, but it caused my device to completely freak the %&$# out, so much so that I thought it was going to kill my precious baby!

Also, I can't recommend Light Flow enough.. great app. And don't be cheap, spend the $1.99 for the extra options.

I'm looking for more apps that will raise the "Wow Factor" of the phone. Anything you guys know of, new or old, that is just plain cool to show off? I mean that's pretty much all the FaceLock thing is... just a cool trick. Let me know if you can think of anything!

Upvote 0
okay kids, Gramma is stuck. Been getting used to the camera and snapping everything, but do you think I can figure out how to delete? Alas, I am old. Thanks in advance.

Click on the picture to where you can see the line of pictures below it, aka the Gallery view. Once there, the top right corner should have a trash can to delete it. It also has where you can post or send the pic as well.

Hope that helps! Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_2011-12-17-02-46-43.jpg

Upvote 0
One thing I just discovered. If you are in an app(ex: phandroid app) that has the 3 dots for menu options on bottom and you hit the power button to lock the phone(while still in the app), when you hit the power again to turn phone on the 3 dots are still on bottom on the lockscreen so you can open up to the app you just left. Pretty sweat idea.:D

Upvote 0
That is so strange. I took your advice and switched from my Incredible usb cable to the Samsung cable, and boom. It works - whereas, before, I got nada.

Many thanks!

It's not strange... it's a way for VZW to make more money. "Hey, we'll make the cords look exactly the same, but we won't let the old ones work!"... sucks too, cuz I thought I was set with all my DX accessories.

Reactions: jimmypop13
Upvote 0
One thing I just discovered. If you are in an app(ex: phandroid app) that has the 3 dots for menu options on bottom and you hit the power button to lock the phone(while still in the app), when you hit the power again to turn phone on the 3 dots are still on bottom on the lockscreen so you can open up to the app you just left. Pretty sweat idea.:D

I don't get it? I tested it... I see the dots both before and after I hit the power button, including on the lock screen... but I don't get what it's doing that is cool? Not trying to be a smartass, I just don't understand... did your old phone used to go back to the homepage when you locked it? maybe that's where the confusion is..

Upvote 0
I don't get it? I tested it... I see the dots both before and after I hit the power button, including on the lock screen... but I don't get what it's doing that is cool? Not trying to be a smartass, I just don't understand... did your old phone used to go back to the homepage when you locked it? maybe that's where the confusion is..

Instead of having to slide to unlock all you have to do is hit the menu buttons from on the lockscreen and it will take you back where you were. Not that big of a deal, really. Just something I noticed. Up until now I never noticed the menu dots on the lockscreen.

The dots are only on lockscreen if you locked while still in an app. If you lock the phone from the homescreen there is no dots. And no, I didnt think you were being smart ass.

Upvote 0
Instead of having to slide to unlock all you have to do is hit the menu buttons from on the lockscreen and it will take you back where you were. Not that big of a deal, really. Just something I noticed. Up until now I never noticed the menu buttons on the lockscreen.

The dots are only on lockscreen if you locked while still in an app. If you lock the phone from the homescreen there is no dots. And no, I didnt think you were being smart ass.

Ohhh! Ok... I guess I didn't realize because I have the Face Unlock activated on mine! And i just wanted to put the smartass disclosure in my last message because I read it without it in there and it sounded like I was being rude. Just more curious than anything! I love finding out new stuff about this thing!!!

Upvote 0
Basically a graphic accelerator is a type of video adapter that has its own processor to boost performance. They assist in drawing graphics and allow the CPU to do its own thing while it more or less takes on the graphics.

The setting I was referring to will force graphic acceleration in some apps. Which could make things move a little faster and smoother than it normally would. You would probably see the results with some games that are pretty graphically intense like some of the Glu or Gameloft games.

Annoyingly, the app I saw that gained the most from this was the twitter app. It seems to be pretty choppy otherwise.

Upvote 0
I was watching Tech News Today on UStream and they quickly mentioned something about the version of ICS that was released on the Nexus is made for the tablet? Is that correct? I am curious because one of the games I often play is very different on my Nexus than it was on my Droid X, despite it being the exact backed up copy I had previously used. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
If anyone didn't catch the video on Cnet, this one is pretty nice for getting you more acclimated to ICS:
Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
(unfortunately, I can't seem to link directly to the video, you should be able to find it easily)

Cool tip from this video: You can take a still image while recording a video by simply tapping on what's being recorded.

Also, if you want to edit the "quick response" text messages, go to your phone dialer, go to settings, and select Quick responses. From what I can tell, you're limited to the four quick responses and have to edit the pre-existing ones.

Upvote 0
After fidgeting through the input menus and trying to long-touch an input-field in hopes of prompting a keyboard change, I finally found out how to change keyboards.

You will still have to go to the input settings menu to check-box whichever keyboards you would want selectable.

21cfekl.jpg

This tiny tiny icon is a keyboard and should show whenever inputting text. Pressing this will open up a prompt that only shows when you swipe down your task/system update bar.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones