Do you have to have a data plan to tether on a rooted phone?Support

Last Updated: 2011-07-24 11:01:50
  1. lunkerlander

lunkerlander New Member

I have a lg thrive i rooted it with gingerbreak then downloaded wifi tether and couldnt get it to connect to my 2011 compaq windowns 7 home premuim laptop or my 4th gen jailbroken ipod touch then i downloaded pdaNet and it still wont connect to the internet???? Whats the problem is it my computer phone ipod do i need a data plan even though it is rooted?????? please help!!
    Ive done some more reading and does it something do do with a new kenrel thing??

Advertisement
  2. lunkerlander

lunkerlander New Member

im also having trouble using si mi clock pro
    please help
  3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Yes, you need a data plan on your phone, otherwise where would your Internet connection be coming from? If your phone is rooted you just do not have to pay for a "tethering" plan to tether.
    lunkerlander likes this.
  4. lunkerlander

lunkerlander New Member

and i guess tethering will eat up your download limits too?
  5. greg4android

greg4android Well-Known Member

you DO know that 500MB is the highest plan you can get on this phone for $25.00, right?

500MB would be eat up rather quickly if you were tethering/hotspotting . . . .

6. chrlswltrs

Yes, tethering would use your plan's data. I'm not sure how you are charged for upload and download data because I have always had unlimited data plans.
  7. greg4android

There are no unlimited plans on AT&T's PREPAID Smartphones.

10mb $5
    100MB $15
    500MB $25

8. chrlswltrs

Wow, those are some pretty bad plans. :(

Ever thought about switching to a different prepay option or a post pay account?
  9. greg4android

I don't really use data, so I just rely on Wifi when the phone needs to sync or update.

I had tried Virgin Mobile (unlimited data) but they raised their rates and throttle data over 2.5GB now.

I refuse to be in an $80 contract any longer with any carrier (unlimited plans seem to be a thing of the past unless you had it in the past).