Do you have to have a verizon account?

Last Updated:

1. fizgig

fizgig Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm thinking of fixing my motorolla droid so I can give it to my dad so he can use it's wifi ability to do some stuff. He wouldn't be signing up with Verizon. Is it possible to use the phone without a Verizon account (no calling obviously but everything else)?

Advertisement
  2. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Yes, but he'll need to find a wifi hotspot everywhere he goes to do any kind of data work. Annoying, but it can be done.

3. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

When you first turn on the phone after restoring to factory settings, touch the screen in a clockwise motion in each of the four corners starting from the top left when holding the phone in the portrait position. This is to be done on the screen that appears with the android figure that says touch to activate. That will allow you to bypass the Verizon and Google activation sequence. You can add your Google credentials later by going to settings>accounts and sync.

Kratos

JonnyK429 likes this.
  4. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Well-Known Member

It would basically be an iDroid Touch...sorry, couldn't help myself. :) But yeah, it will work as long as there's wifi.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb Member

Just a thought but I use mine with pageplus cellular since I don't use that much cell service a month. If he would like to use what is roughly verizon like coverage he could activate it with them and just turn off cellular data and at least still be able to use it to receive calls. I think I spend something like $10 a month for my useage.