• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Do you have to root to tether?

To tether via WiFi for free, yes you need to root. If you dont want to root, you can pay sprint 30 bucks a month to tether via wifi.

You can use apps like PDAnet to tether to one computer via usb for free.

Thankyou for quick reply, im chicken to root cause what if i want to put the cell back to stock/factory or brick it LoL...and NO not gonna pay 30 bucks.

Upvote 0
I was going to root as well to get the wifi tether, but decided to wait for that reason too. There are tutorials on how to go back to stock after you root, if you need to return your phone under warranty. But From what I've read, its just kind of a workaround, and your phone still isnt truely "stock".

If you wait until 2.2 is released (hopefully within the next few weeks) it's supposed to have free wifi tether built in. Whether or not Sprint will block it, we will have to wait and see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones