Do you leave wi-fi on?

Do you leave wi-fi on?

1. Yes, I always leave wi-fi on.

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. No, I turn wi-fi off when I am not in a wi-fi area.

37 vote(s)
    78.7%

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry, one more poll I wanted to make... hope you dont mind. Do you leave your wi-fi on? I am contemplating leaving wi-fi on and running to automatically connect to known wi-fi connections when I am in it's area, but am afraid of the toll it will take on battery life...

Advertisement
  2. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

I shut it off when im not using is since I only use it in two places home, and work. I could care less if my internets faster when im out and about.

3. JD_from_da_80s

JD_from_da_80s Well-Known Member

This

Actually I barely use it at home, when I wanna go online, I go on my laptop

4. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

The Wifi radio, whether connected to Wifi or not, is going to burn the battery.

5. Zardos

Zardos Well-Known Member

It's off when I don't use it.

6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I always disable the Wi-Fi radio unless I am in need of a faster connection than the 3G network can provide and I am in a Wi-Fi hotspot that I can sign into. I do use it at home at times when I am doing heavy browsing because it is faster and the Wi-Fi radio actually uses less battery than the 3G radio in my experience.

Of course, I also get a really strong 3G connection at my house as well, so usually I am lazy and just leave the Wi-Fi radio off. It is a really nice thing to have when you need it though.

7. wallyy

wallyy Well-Known Member

Never used Wifi on the Hero.

8. Zinja

Zinja Well-Known Member

No. I flip it on and off automatically based on time and location with Tasker. Get on it!

HI YA!

9. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

I said that I leave it on, because I usually forget to turn it off.

10. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

What he said.

11. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

Yes, I leave it on all the time since I connect to WIFI a few times/day. WIFI uses less power than 3G so you want the phone to use it.

WIFI will disconnect when the screen is off (unless you change the default setting) so it really doesn't drain the battery much. I did turn off the option to be notified of open networks as that annoys me.

I've tried leaving WIFI off and I actually use more battery power that way, believe it or not. I encourage everyone to TRY leaving it on if you have access to a WIFI network. You may be surprised at the results, and it is a lot less hassle than to have to worry about toggling it on/off all the time.

BTW, I leave GPS on all the time too.

Now then, on the Droid X because of the battery drain bug you should turn off GPS when not in use and turn off WIFI when not in use. Hopefully the update will fix this.

MadBrown likes this.
  12. MadBrown

MadBrown Well-Known Member

This is spot-on, but I'm not sure about the GPS since I've found it does drain my battery....a lot.

I was in St. Thomas a couple of weeks ago for my honeymoon and the Marriott there charged $16 a day for wi-fi (!!) so I stuck with 3G and saw my battery dead by around 3-4 p.m. after taking it off the charger at 9 a.m. When I got home and turned my wi-fi back on, that added 4-5 extra hours of battery life.

13. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

Well, this is off topic but as far as GPS, you have to monitor what's using it. Some widgets, apps, and even live wallpapers may turn it on too often. Sometimes you can check their settings and tell 'em to just use wireless networks for location. Apps that use GPS:
    -Navigation (use the Exit button from the menu when done)
    -Maps (return to home screen when done)
    -Camera (same as Maps)
    -Yelp (same as Maps)
    -Poynt (same as Maps)
    -weather widgets (set them to update less frequently or use wireless networks)

14. Zardos

Zardos Well-Known Member

I see bad drain when wifi is on. It stays on even when the screen is off. All i can say is wifi drains my battery.

I'm running cm6, so I don't know if it handles off screen wifi differently than shittasticsense.