Do you leave your evo connected to mobile all day?

Last Updated:

1. CandyAppleVr4

CandyAppleVr4 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I was with my buddies who have EVO's and they keep there 3G on all the time (one guy didn't even know how to turn it off). They use TikL and Latitude, and a few other programs that are meant to run with an internet connection, so I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to do with newer phones? Do you guys leave your internet connected all day and never turn it off? I'm so used to turning it on, doing what I need to do then turning it off. I would have assumed this would save battery life as web browsing kills your battery much faster than not being connected online. If you leave it connected but are not actually surfing the web or the phone is in standby with the screen off does it not eat up the battery?

Advertisement
  2. harleyless

harleyless Well-Known Member

I leave it on but also use wifi when available at my set locations. I have my wifi sleep policy set to 15 min...that way when I go out of range of my set locations, I'm back on 3g...

btw I am a moderate to heavy user and I'm getting 24hrs per charge leaving the phone on all the time and doing a battery swamp each morning...

unplugged1 likes this.
  3. One Beast

One Beast Well-Known Member

My 3G is on all day.......I only toggle my 4G on and off

You will only drain the battery searching for the network and using the network...just sitting on the network doing nothing wont waste your battery..Unless you have alot of backround services running that require a data connection

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Two parts to internet use. For actual use where you're receiving and sending info, power use is higher. When you stop, it's still running but using slightly less power. That said, it's only slightly less because the 3G radio will be constantly looking to send/receive. There are also a lot of other apps that use location-based services and connect to the internet and also drain battery. It doesn't make sense to leave 3G on when you don't need it.

Wifi makes much more sense if you're at home or in a place with encrypted wifi and want to stay connected throughout the day. It'll drain battery, but just less.

When you turn off the phone (screen off/lock), you're not disconnecting so drain still occurs. If you want to quickly turn off all radios and connections, just go to Airplane Mode.

5. supaumar

supaumar Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

6. flip603

flip603 Well-Known Member

no reason to turn it off nowadays. especially if you want emails as they arrive

7. 81_

81_ Banned

you can turn 3g off? huh. i leave it on. i toggle 4 on and off as needed. never use. i've only used wifi a couple of times to test it out.

8. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

I think it is funny that you make note that one guy doesn't even know how to turn 3G off, when you don't even know if it should stay on or not.

Why would you turn it off? To save battery? Silly, just plain old silly, unless, like mentioned above, you are in a poor reception area and constantly searching for signal.

To each their own...I guess...:rolleyes:

sagedil likes this.
  9. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

There was a time I turned things on and off. But did not save enough battery to justify. My 3G, 4G, and wifi always on now.

This just works for me, and should he noted I am in Raleigh with very strong 3G signal. The only time I will ever turn off if I am traveling in a weak 3G area.

10. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yep, every phone i've had for the past 4 years or so has always been on 3g all the time just to get emails. Plus if i want to browse the web, i dont have to turn it on and wait for it to connect.

11. Karl14

Karl14 Member

I don't understand...how do you turn off 3g?

Wouldn't turning off 3g be the same as airplane mode?

Unless you are constantly searching for a signal, wouldn't turning 3g off defeat the complete purpose of having the phone?!?

12. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

I only leave 4G off because we don't have 4G yet in Miami. Other than that I leave everything else on, bluetooth, wifi, 3G, and GPS. I have no task killers. I just let android do it's thing.

13. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

How do you turn off 3G??? Im not understanding this thread at all along with a few others.

14. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

The OP is turning off Mobile Network. You can still use the phone for calls as only the Data portion is turned off. I only ever do this when I am roaming (rare), otherwise I leave either my mobile data or my wifi on all day and night

15. aimzmarie

aimzmarie Active Member

turning off 3g is actually very easy just misunderstood b/c it's called mobile network. go to settings>wireless & networks> then uncheck mobile network

you can also put a toggle widget on your home screen by going to the extra htc widgets.

i only turn off my 3g when travelling through an area that has spotty reception, or when i'm spending a long time in an area that how low reception/low 3g. this improves battery life but is not worth turning off if you live/are in an area with great coverage.

XOS THW likes this.
  16. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Ok another question How do I find the widget for this?

17. quentin135

quentin135 Well-Known Member

Add widget > settings widgets > mobile network widget

18. sikclown

long press home screen then widget then setting then mobile network

19. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

wow thanks never knew we had all that.

20. Painkillaz

Painkillaz Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see the point in turning 3g on and off unless you have bad signal for an extended period of time...with 3g on all day, gps/4g/wifi randomly on and off throughout the day im getting an average of 10-11 hours before having to plug it back in...this said I dont see why turning 3g on and off is warranted...but thats just my opinion

21. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

/thread

22. CandyAppleVr4

CandyAppleVr4 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, what a douche response. I asked what most people do as I found it odd to leave it on constantly as I grew up on windows mobile phones and if I left my internet connected it would drain the battery much faster. I realise Windows mobile is not Android but hopefully you can understand how the concept could be the same.

I turn it off because I'm not using it. I know that's a hard concept to grasp. I wouldn't turn on the camera and walk around with it if I didn't plan on taking pictures. I turn it on, do what I need to do then turn it off. Seems pointless to leave it on if i'm not using it. Why bother mqking toggle switches for it if you are never supossed to turn it off? Anyway, I know what works for me, I was just curious if a lot of people left their mobile connection on all the time.

23. sikclown

FYI Just go into Menu then Settings then Wireless and Networks then Mobile Netowrks settings then uncheck Enable Always on Mobile Data. THis will save battery and do essentially what you are doing but leave you connected more often.

24. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Yeah.. on older phone... i see that...

Yeah... turning if off... would save you some battery time

if you are not a person that has or wants to be connected via social networking services... You dont need it on all the time.

One of the big things about today's smartphones ... stay connected.

suggestion.... just for fun... leave your 3G on all day. for a few days.... how does your battery last? Did it make a difference??

:)

sagedil likes this.
  25. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

Yes, you can call me Douche from now on if you please.

So, with your logic above, shouldn't you be turning your phone off when you are not using it? Just think of the battery savings then...

Oh, but then you would miss calls when they came in, just like you miss emails when they come in and you have your data turned off...same difference, right?