• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you like the 2.2 update? Poll...

Is 2.2 is a good update?

• Yes, wouldn't go back to 2.1

Votes: 253 55.8%
  • It's ok, hoped for more

Votes: 146 32.2%
  • Overhyped. Liked 2.1 better.

Votes: 54 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really didn't have any problems with 2.1, my phone was solid. 2.2 doesn't seem that much faster for me. I love the update all apps in market. But overall, my battery life dropping by 50% is the real deal breaker for me. Still looking for a solution (which will probably be factory reset and possibly rooting)

Upvote 0
Interesting...I just recalibrated the G-sensor with auto-rotate off, and it helped a lot, unlike all the other times that I did it with auto-rotate on. My apps no longer go into landscape mode unexpectedly. They seem a little slow to turn when I want them to, but it always did seem to take a while and I'm not sure it's any worse.

Upvote 0
Is there a correlation between people that did the update.zip and problems vs. Those that waited for the official ota?

Doubtful, the update.zip is the same file as the OTA. And anecdotally I did the update.zip, and have no issues.

[Statistics hat goes on] and even if you established correlation between the two populations, that would not establish causation. The people who care enough to do the .zip method are more likely to care enough to indentify/complain about issues that they encounter, or believe they encounter post update (selection bias). You also have to consider that some portion of that population might not have received the OTA because of existing issues with their phone, which could have been exacerbated by the update.

Upvote 0
My main complaint is that my phone is no faster than it was with 2.1; often times it is actually slower. I'm especially disappointed about this because significantly increased overall speed is something that Google promised with 2.2. I know what some of you must be thinking at this point: Yes, I did do a factory reset, and no, my phone is not "funked up". My girlfriend has had the same experience on her Incredible as well. In addition to that, like so many others, I don't like the additional stock apps that were added (VZ Navigator, Amazon, etc.).

My second most significant complaint is the keyboard. Ever since the 2.2 update, the word suggestions have been terrible. Sometimes, I'll misspell a word by one letter and some of the suggestions are so far off and obscure while the word I'm actually attempting to type doesn't even appear in the list. It worked MUCH better in 2.1.

With that said, I am happy with the 720p video. I have tested the quality of video recording and it is significantly better than it was on 2.1. I also love the new "Flashlight" app - SO much better than the one that I previously had downloaded from the Market thanks to it using the LED. I also like the fact that the option to run apps from the SD card is now available.

Upvote 0
Another keyboard complaint...if my memory serves me correctly, in 2.1, I was able to hit the "send" button while the word suggestions were still present on my screen. Now, I must first select one of the suggestions before it will allow me to hit "send". That is incredibly annoying.

Could just hit the space bar after word

also, if you aim well you can hit send while suggestions are still up.. is kinda a pain though, liked the bigger send button better

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is relevant, but this is how fast my phone is now after the OTA and a factory reset.

Soooo close! So close to knocking the Nexus off it's pedestal. And this is unrooted, stock! Really very happy with the DI.

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0
Coming from an iPhone 3GS the change from 2.1 - 2.2 on Android vs
3.x -> 4.x on iPhone is not as big a deal because Android already had a lot of the features that the Apple 4.x update added (and is still falling behind on).

I'm running the Virtuous 2.2 ROM now on my Incredible and love it but I liked the 2.1 better than iPhone 4.x anyway. I think the hype was greater than the advantages but maybe thats not the case for unrooted users. With the iPhone the hype pretty much equaled the change.

From what I've seen between the two, the difference in Android OS is like the difference between K2 and Mt. Everest while for iPhone, it was like the difference between an anthill and Mt. Everest. haha

I'll never switch back to iPhone even if Verizon gets it. Much more fond of Android and the people who use it!

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is relevant, but this is how fast my phone is now after the OTA and a factory reset.

Soooo close! So close to knocking the Nexus off it's pedestal. And this is unrooted, stock! Really very happy with the DI.

Mine is usually between 1150 and 1200 or so....but I have not done a reset.

How does one recover purchased apps and contacts w/ photos (which are in google) after a reset? Does it wipe the SD card?

Upvote 0
Mine is usually between 1150 and 1200 or so....but I have not done a reset.

How does one recover purchased apps and contacts w/ photos (which are in google) after a reset? Does it wipe the SD card?
DOes not wipe the card. I use appbrain to back up my apps, but you could also just make a list, and then redownload them. All the apps i had purchased, showed up as purchased in the market, so all i had to do was download them again, and adjust the settings, and i was back in bidness!

Upvote 0
I actually hated 2.2, I had to many freaking problems. Swype would have to be uninstalled and reinstalled anytime my phone was turned off, I could not get it out of landscape mode when using handcent or shazam. I did a factory reset, and that seems to have cured so many problems. It took me less than 5 minutes to put everything to the way it was before. I really suggest people do the factory reset first, it help me so very much.

Upvote 0
I actually hated 2.2, I had to many freaking problems. Swype would have to be uninstalled and reinstalled anytime my phone was turned off, I could not get it out of landscape mode when using handcent or shazam. I did a factory reset, and that seems to have cured so many problems. It took me less than 5 minutes to put everything to the way it was before. I really suggest people do the factory reset first, it help me so very much.

You should be able to get swype working by switching the input method from swype and back.

Upvote 0
Could just hit the space bar after word

also, if you aim well you can hit send while suggestions are still up.. is kinda a pain though, liked the bigger send button better

That's actually my point...you can't actually hit it in 2.2 until after you select a word. It's not a matter of the button being too small; it's simply not clickable until you select a word. I see your point about the space bar, but it's still an extra and unnecessary step compared to 2.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones