Do you pay for your apps?General

1. danoack

danoack Member

I have about 60 plus apps. The ones I use are either free or are the free version.

I hear people shell out $$$ for apps and I think that's crazy. Why would anyone do that?

Take Rockplayer for instance.

I use the FREE version. It plays everything I want, I see no reason to "pay" for the upgrade.

However....

Take Backcountry Maps. This, I see I might have to pay for. Unless I can find an alternative.

Do you ACTUALLY pay for apps???

fyi
    apps=APPLICATIONS

Advertisement
    :
  2. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

There are a few apps I pay for, usually only after I have tried the free version to see if it's useful to me. I don't mind supporting the developers who make apps and continue to improve upon them if those apps are ones that I find useful on a daily basis. I can't say I'd ever pay for a game app...but I'll pay for an app to improve the function of my phone.
  3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I have many paid apps. Some things are good enough that they're worth paying for. If someone makes a quality app and wants money for it I have no issues giving them money for their work.
  4. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I don't have many apps, maybe 20 or so, and the only one that I purchased was Beautiful Widgets. I have no problem paying for an app if it's worth it (IE: setCPU if/when I root) and the developer is constitent with providing updates.
  5. A.Nonymous

The only app I regret paying for is bTunes. I paid $1.50 for it and it worked amazing on 2.1. On Froyo, it's buggy as hell and the developer apparently has no plans to update it.....ever. Supposedly he's dead, but that seems to be up in the air. In any case, support for the app is dead and I'm pissed about it. I'm only out $1.50 though so I'll simply pass on the fries at McD's and be good.
  6. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Paying for apps makes sense in many cases.

Tasker, Launcher Pro plus, WidgetLocker....... they all have provided a functionality that is worth the small, one-time expense. I too try out free versions but I prefer to pay for the ones that I use that follow the following criteria:

1. Serves a function I do not have
    2. Does something that gives me direct benefit
    3. Is updated/supported by the developer

I figure paying a few bucks is a fair trade off for quality app.
  7. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I bought bPlayer and it has worked fine on 2.2 and on MIUI. What issues were you having?

I have paid close to $200 for apps so far, and don't seem to be stopping any time soon. It's all about supporting the developers, getting rid of ads, and keeping Android Development going strong!
    SynisterWolf likes this.
  8. sirwally

sirwally Member

Of course I pay for apps, if and when they are worth paying for. I don't care if an app is a tool or a game. If there is no comparable free alternative and it gives me functionality I desire, I will happily pay, if the price is right. I also have no qualms about using ad-supported apps. I see far too many people bitching about paid apps...being anti-paid app is a ridiculous stance to take. If you d.on't want to party, don't buy it and either go without or settle for a potentially inferior free alternative (I am not passing judgement on app quality based on cost). Yes, I suppose you could be a dick and pirate the app...but don't. If you can't afford the app then you probably shouldn't have gotten that expensive phone in the first place. But I digress.

BTW, I have a handful of paid apps, but most are free, and I have tons of apps. At one point I was tipping 200, but I have scaled that back somewhat.
  9. Bane

Bane Well-Known Member

I paid for 19 of my 82 apps. I've got no problem paying if the app does what I want, does it well and the price is right.
  10. A.Nonymous

For me, it doesn't populate music properly. If I set it to just monitor XYZ folder, nothing shows up. I also get weird FC's on it and it does other buggy things in general.
  11. pdykstra

pdykstra Well-Known Member

if it's a good app then yes, it's well worth the couple of dollars. I've purchased widget locker, launcher pro plus, and beautiful widgets and use every single one of them every day, so it was well worth the cost. If Angry Birds was offered in a paid version, I'd prolly shell out the 99 cents for it to get rid of the ads.
  12. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member

Ive purchased around 50 dollars in apps. If a good one comes around I don't have an issue paying a buck or 2. The biggest expense I paid for was my root apps like ROM manager. I think that was 5 bucks.
  13. A.Nonymous

I paid $20 for Touchdown as it was the only email client that would work with my company's server. Is it worth $20 to everyone? Probably not. There are number of other email apps out there I thought looked better, but not a single one of them actually worked with my office's server.
  14. jayDInc

jayDInc Well-Known Member

I paid for Tasker. And pay monthly for upgraded Slacker (but if they force the social media update on me, that'll be the end of that).

I though this comic about apps was pretty funny.
  15. ptco911

ptco911 Well-Known Member

There are very few things that are free, I will not pay for an app if there some that are free that do basically the same thing.
  16. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

PowerAmp.....I rarely pay for apps...but jesus....this app is freakin slaughtering the music app scene (only in beta with a hyper-active Developer)
  17. xfuchsiax

xfuchsiax Well-Known Member

Of the currently 78 apps I have, I've paid for 2 of them (Touiteur and WordFeud).
  18. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

I've only paid for reckless racing.
  19. DevHead

DevHead Well-Known Member

20. v8dreaming

v8dreaming Well-Known Member

I find it funny that people that complain about paying for apps. are usually the ones also complaining about the adds.

I have paid for quite a few apps. and I have no problem doing so. I've also donated to devs. that make free apps. The cubed music player being one of them. To be honest, I think he should charge money for it and not rely on donations, it's that good.
  21. WBMc36

WBMc36 Well-Known Member

i have paid for widget locker, and beautiful widgets. About to donate to alarm clock pro v2 because of the constant updates and great features the dev keeps adding. I am also looking into launcher pro plus because i have been using the free version for a few days now and like it, and like some of the widgets that come with it.
  22. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member

I pay for apps, gladly.

$2 or $5 for something that occupies my time for even a week, let alone a month or more? common lol

If more people would pay for apps, more dev's would be developing them. More dev's developing them = more higher quality apps

I just tried free version of PowerAmp ... 24hrs in i know i will be paying the $5 for it at the end of the 2 week trial. A lot of work went into it, and i see the value in paying for it.
    dibs ODDJOB likes this.
  23. WBMc36

WBMc36 Well-Known Member

^You bring up a good point as well. I had to take a cmpsci class in programing for matlab, and boy i hated it. Coding is one of the most tedious things ever and considering java is about 100 times harder than the stuff i did in that introductory class i have a lot of respect for people that can code and app and have it work correctly. They deserve the money for those apps since no doubt they take hours upon end to make, and even more time to support and keep the updates coming.
  24. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

Cost of phone: $200
    Cost of monthly charges, over two years: :$2400-2800

We all pay the above amount, with some variances. It's a lot of money.

Complaining about paying a few bucks to extend the functionality, ease of use, or performance of your device boggles my mind. You could spend $20 on apps, and it would still represent less than 1% of your overall budget.

Big picture people, big picture.
    (Note: Of course, if free alternatives exist, use them. But supporting devs is a good thing.)
    Hitch_Itch likes this.
  25. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member

If it's something I use regularly, and the free alternatives aren't as good, I definitely pay. Heck... $1-5 every once in awhile is practically nothing.

The guys that create these apps can't put food on the table with a good rating only. Paying them helps keep the app around and improving.