Do you power off your phone when you charge it?Support

Last Updated:

1. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Member

Best Buy rep said not to power it all the way off. Of course she also told me to install ATK. So, should you power it off at night? I know they say to power off you computers, etc.

2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

my phone only gets turned off if i need to reboot. i leave it on 24/7 even when charging.
  3. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Charged at night Also it is hooked up to the front power outlet when in my car. I use the NAV app like crazy.

Like Tom it is only powered off when it is rebooted.
  4. Prez8983

Prez8983 Member

Is leaving it on your preference or is it actually better for the phone?
  5. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Old habits die hard. Always charged my phones overnight. I have not seen nor heard any reason to change that habit.
  6. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Neither, really, there's just no need to turn it off. Besides, if it's off, I could miss phone calls and texts. I can get e-mails on my computer, but I don't have a landline, and I don't want to miss some important emergency phonecall in the middle of the night because my phone is turned off. Or if there's an emergency and I need to call someone, I don't want to wait for it to boot. So leave it on, and leave ATK where it belongs, anywhere but on your phone.
  7. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I turned mine off every night to charge because..... I upgraded from the Incredible and old habits die hard. Trying to shake that habit now :D
  8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better myself.
  9. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

I keep mine off at night to charge, although I don't think it hurts to leave it on but I don't want to hear that DROID thing when a text comes in. I can read them in the morning. They "family" knows to use the land line in an emergency.
  10. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Tasker takes care of silencing my notifications every night without me thinking about it. :cool:

Plus, my cell phone has been my alarm clock for years, I love waking up to Pandora! :D

Also haven't had a landline since 2002, are those even still around?? lol
  11. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

No land line...stays on unless I've ran it dead before I go to bed.
  12. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

A cell phone isn't really ON even when it is on. Sure if the screen stayed on the whole time that the phone was on, then leaving it on 24/7 might effect the life of the screen eventually. But when the phone hasn't been touched in a minute or two it virtually turns itself off. The screen isn't on, it isn't doing any CPU intense activities... nothing that's going to wear it down within the next 5 years anyway. If you're worried about it being hard on your phone to leave it on, don't be. The only reason I could see for actually turning it off is if you just don't want to be bothered by it.

But no, leaving it on (to sleep) at night is not hard on your phone.
  13. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

Why do you have to turn off the Droid Inc. to charge it?
  14. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Bump charging BS we all know and love.
  15. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

That's just craziness.
  16. queenrocks77

queenrocks77 Well-Known Member

I never shut off my phone or computer.
  17. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

18. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Phone on 24/7 here. I'd assume that the vast majority of people do it that way, so I'm sure it's fine.
  19. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Mine stays on at night while charging. With FroYo I've noticed that battery management seems to better control notifications at night. I set mine to not notify me at night and it typically doesn't...