Do you really need txting if you have email?General

Last Updated:

1. jaybigboy34

jaybigboy34 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Do you really need txting if you have email? Can't you just go to your email and send a message to someones phone that way? Other than maybe mobile to mobile txting, what would be the benefit of having txting?

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

its faster then email

3. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

+1 ... I send 3 to 4 hundres texts a month ... and thats nothing compaired to my wife.

4. jaybigboy34

5. Caddyman

depends on emails settings, etc. also what if you friend doesnt have an email phone? there are LOTS and LOTS of variables with email, txt is universal and usually much faster.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I use a mix of email, sms and im. It usually just depends on the contact. My job actually requires contact with people at Google so I use Gtalk with them a lot. Other people in my office rely heavily on sms and others don't/won't pay for it so they just stick with email.

I personally prefer IM apps over everything else just for the variety and speed that they allow. I can be on my desktop, laptop, netbook or phone and use the same program to communicate with people.

7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

When I sent text messages to other Verizon customers with messaging plans - especially my kids or my wife - the messages are free. If I send e-mail to their number@vtext.com messaging, it is not a m2m message, and their replies are not as well.

8. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

My wife and I both have unlimited texting ... doesnt matter who or what we text. Hell, even updates from ESPN/Facebook/School Closings/Ect are covered.

9. jaybigboy34

Yea, see this is what I mean. My friends have unlimited txt and I have the unlimited data package so I don't see what the big difference is to just let them txt my email and we can communicate that way.

10. Caddyman

emails IMO is a little messy too once you get a long convo going with signatures, and copies and stuff.

txt is good and streamlines

dont get me wrong, email has its place, i use email all the time, but more for work stuff though.

11. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Its all a matter of preference.

12. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

My family plan doesn't have unlimited text, so I use Google Voice for texting. That's sent through data, so it's part of our data plan. I receive texts as Gmail, and that's push, so that's almost as fast as regular texting. Hopefully soon, Google Voice will enable push text messaging so I won't have to rely on Gmail.

I did set up the Google Voice bridging number with Friends & Family, so now we have unlimited outgoing minutes! Whoohoo.

13. jaybigboy34

Sorry for the stupid question, but does push mean that google checks for new email every 5 mins? If it means something else, then how do I setup my email to push?

14. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

it also depends on how old you are..younger people usually rely on texting much more comparing to email/voice calls.
    As a teenager, if you dont have texting..you're out of the loop in most cases

15. Solitary

i've sent over 600 in 4 days..lol

16. Caddyman

i dont use voicemail at all, everyone knows not to even leave me a vm and i never, ever, leave vm's....idk why

17. Solitary

i find it quite annoying when someone calls you and doesnt leave a voice mail..

18. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

Push means that as soon as the Gmail server receives email, it will pass along a signal to your Eris and you'll get the email right away. Gmail (not to be confused with the Mail program) on the Eris is automatically set to receive Gmail push.

It's not the same as checking for new email every 5 minutes. Gmail doesn't check for mail at a set interval on the Eris.