Do you recomend android..for normal people?

Last Updated:

1. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i am very technically minded, having an android is perfect for me....i got bored of the iphone after a few hours,....too simple

so now with my android (hero) i do lots with it-, rooting, using locale, using wavesecure, downloading apps

but it seems, that someone who has only ever used a small nokia 6300 or n95, would strugle with android,

do you guys think android is too...hard to use...for most normal people..who dont take advantage of everything it has to offer, over phones like the iphone?

Advertisement
  2. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought the same thing myself. After my Mother-in-law saw my Hero and my wifes Moment, she decided to get one herself. I was a little worried about her having problems running it. The night she got it, she brought it over and we gave her a crash course on how to use it. That was over a week ago and she hasn't said anything to us about any problems, so maybe I was wrong. I'll report back if she calls for help:)

3. tigrr07

tigrr07 Well-Known Member

HTC Magic Android was my first smartphone. It took a little getting used to, but forums like this and tons of online tutorials have made it so easy to use and understand.

4. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

The problem is that most people won't go to a forum, or even know what one is. My wife is one of those people, when she's having a problem with her phone, she hands it to me because she knows I've done all the reading on it.

5. blackops

blackops Well-Known Member

Yea, its not that hard to learn all about the phone. Trust me, spend some time here learn all the tips and tricks to your phone, and all. Its time and money well spent:D. I came from an iphone(plus a plethora of others) and found android has more time and difficulty compared to the iphone, but then again, I prefer the Droid I have grown to love! The iphone is just really simple loaded with not as many features on the phone compared to droid, but i mean if you own the android, eventually you will find that you want to customize and use all the features present

6. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

There is a learning curve just like the rest of the phones, but its not like you need to be a programmer to use them.

When I compare my experience with a blackberry to a android I think a blackberry is more technical.

Thats my .02 cents;)

7. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Using a Nokia phone's actually harder, especially a non-touch one. Why? Because Symbian is currently a counter-intuitive piece of shit.

Android's fine for normal people.

i VTAK likes this.
  8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I have finally come to the conclusion you are the pickiest person on this forum.

9. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm normal! :p

(Can't believe no one else has said that yet.) :D

10. grainysand

I've long ago reached the conclusion that you're the most obnoxious. :)

11. IOWA

oopps...

12. Jeanine

Jeanine Member

I'm pretty "normal" and I love my Droid!!

13. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me!!! I switched from a Moto RAZR to a Nokia flip phone a few years ago. It seriously took me a month or more to figure it out and get comfortable using it. It seemed like everything was done in the most complicated way possible.

14. grainysand

Definitely not just you. Symbian still looks and functions something like Windows 95, only worse. Much worse. Nokia retains a huge global market share only because it's been around forever and makes cheap dumbphones, but when it comes to anything more than a phone that just makes calls, everything they've been making for the last five years or so apart from the N900 is an irredeemable turd.

15. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

My wife is not "techy" in the least and she has a rooted HTC Hero running Fresh 1.1 (I did the rooting and custom ROM) but she has absolutely no problem using the phone.

16. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

i'm not sure what you're referring to as a "normal" person. After reading this thread it seems like a "normal" person is someone who isn't technologically inclined? I would tend to say that wrong, cause I'm not very technologically versed myself--I just know how to research and find answers....and most importantly, I don't mind doing that.

I don't mind trying new things and playing with around things, but I think some people like simple phones that they don't have to mess too much with. I think and Android phone can be used right out of the box by anyone, with a little guidance. Or, by the smartest techno-geek in existence. It's just that each person will be experiencing a different phone.

17. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

For general usage I think it's fine and if anything it's more intuitive than many phone O/S's. For instance my wife loves her Hero and wouldn't change it for anything, but she still hands it to me for custom ROM upgrades and general clean-ups and back-ups.

It's a bit like Gnome (a GNU/Linux GUI). If you were to sit two people down who have never used a computer before, one at a Windows machine and one at a GNU/Linux machine running Gnome I guaranty the one using Gnome will pick it up much more quickly than the one using Windows as it's so much more intuitive. Saying that people who are accustomed to Windows are still scared to switch as they 'believe' it will be too complicated.

18. IOWA

I'm going to have to disagree. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck or two that 90% of people in the united states, and world in general, are in fact NOT technically inclined/savvy etc. Some like to THINK they are, but they are not.

Like everyone who doesn't like winmobile, I loved it. It was good at what it did. And still to this day, performance/functionality-wise, no mobile os can touch it. However, in order to get the most out of it, people need to be Tech-Savvy. They are not, it is not easy enough for them, they buy an iphone. If people were truely technical savvy, virus's wouldn't a fraction of the problem they are now, people wouldn't buy from apple, and I wouldn't have to fix everyones computer all the damn time. Geek Squad wouldn't exist, along with many other cater-to-people-at-home business's. Just think about the billions of dollars each year, made from people who don't understand electronics in general.

And no, being able to use a computer to surf the net does not make you tech-savvy.

19. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The problem is that "normal" is meaningless in that it's extremely vague and I doubt you could get everyone to agree exactly on what "normal" specifically means.

Any phone/smartphone selection really depends on the individual and not whatever broad classification categories that you happen to be able to squeeze that person into. I'd certainly consider my fiancee to be what you're trying to label as "normal" and she has no problems using her Droid and is very happy with it. Does that mean that the next "normal" person would be? Not necessarily.

Some people struggle with any change. Again, it really depends on the specific individual that you're talking about.