• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you recommend the Desire Z?

Hi everybody. I've had my Desire Z for 3 weeks. . I am a HTC fan and i also have as a back up phone HTC Touch2pro. I love the internet speed on Desire Z ,interactivity, fast touch and all the gadgets. What i am not crazy about is the keyboard, compared to my HTC Touch2 Pro where the keyboard is bigger, soft and it always lights up when used making typing a very easy task. On Desire Z, the keyboard is sometimes too dark and it is hard to distinguish the letters on a black background. I am surprised this issue was not addressed by HTC while designing such a high tech phone .

Upvote 0
If you don't care about or need the keyboard get the desire. Desire is such a sleek phone and makes the desire z feel huge.

Are you kidding? This phone on Sense 2.0 alone curbstomps the Desire. Add in the better camera, HD recording, and specs, (Gen TWO processor, not a shit 1 GHz gen 1) You might as well say get a G1.

The Desire Z is a massive step over the Desire, and if you don't care about or need the keyboard WAIT for the Desire HD, because the Desire nowadays will be like a giant bladder evacuation into the eyeballs. It's outdated, and quickly falling to the position of "low-end" or EOL as far as NAM systems are concerned.

Upvote 0
hey guyz. i've been reading all the possible reviews, all the forums and user opinions about the desire z and i must say i like it very much but still i have a few questions.

1) i have read that after a long term usage the hinge gets weaker & weaker. one guy wrote that he's been using it for 2 months and that he can now put 2 credit cards between the keyboard and the screen because of the hinge. did some of you have this experience? has your hinge got any weaker since u bought it?

2)i don't really need a qwerty keyboard so what other mobile phone can i get from HTC besides the desire z and the desire HD (its just too big for me) but with the same specs?

Upvote 0
1) i have read that after a long term usage the hinge gets weaker & weaker. one guy wrote that he's been using it for 2 months and that he can now put 2 credit cards between the keyboard and the screen because of the hinge. did some of you have this experience? has your hinge got any weaker since u bought it?

I had it for 2 months and I have not noticed any degradation in the strength of the hinge. It's still pretty solid. It remains closed or open when I want it to.

2)i don't really need a qwerty keyboard so what other mobile phone can i get from HTC besides the desire z and the desire HD (its just too big for me) but with the same specs?

These were the two devices that were announced at the same time at their media event back in September. There is the HTC Desire that was announced almost a year ago. It's an older model that is like the Desire Z. The Desire comes with Android 2.1 and is a bit slower.

If you want something different, you will probably have to look at something from another manufacturer.

Upvote 0
The Desire comes with Android 2.1 and is a bit slower.

I believe it has now received its 2.2 OTA update. Despite its relative (in mobile phone terms anyway) old age the Desire is still a very capable package.

If you want something different, you will probably have to look at something from another manufacturer.
Or wait until next month, when there are sure to be plenty of announcements of forthcoming devices at the MWC event in Barcelona.

Upvote 0

My hinge is a tad looser, but it's still pretty solid. Had mine for a month now. Awesome phone!

If you don't need a large screen, there is also the HTC Legend that is available.. But slower processor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones