Do you think I would be able to use the Verizon Nexus One in another country?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MancusoX, Feb 19, 2010.

1. MancusoX

MancusoX Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Student at Penn State
    I am currently in college and I am going to be studying in Germany for a semester in the spring of 2011. I would like to know if I would be able to use the Nexus One in Germany if I buy one. Might it be like the Blackberry Storm and have Sim card on it for world use?

Advertisement
  2. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Intergalatic Chef
    On Another Planet
    No idea about the properties of the Verizon sim-card, which is what you are really asking, except that Verizon is a US network - we don't have it in Europe.
    The nexus, given an appropriate simcard, WILL work wonderfully - no doubt you have noticed a fair few posts from UKers-who-shipped the-nexus-from-US whilst you have been reading the forums :rolleyes:

This Verizon International Cell Phone Service Information suggests you would incur significant roaming charges so I'm guessing that the best (and cheapest, no doubt) option would be to purchase a simcard for a German network once you are in Europe - we have them over here too, ya know, along with running water and central heating ;) (joke!!!, no offence meant!!)

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Germany/Germany-Guide/Telephone-Internet/Mobile-phones

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

It is very doubtful. I would love the Nexus One to be a world phone, but there has been no hint of it at all so it's unlikely that it will have a SIM slot to use out of the country.

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Uhh, the N1 is a world phone. Standard GSM. Insert a SIM card and voila, instant usability.

If you're buying the Verizon CDMA version, though, then you probably deserve being stuck without GSM viability. :)

5. Soupdragon

Dec 13, 2009
    Intergalatic Chef
    On Another Planet
    Now I really am confused - the Nexus One does have a SIM slot and I'm absolutely using mine "out of the country"
    Did the OP mean something else entirely to which you are responding?

6. Soupdragon

Dec 13, 2009
    Intergalatic Chef
    On Another Planet
    Cheers, grainy!!
    Thought I was losing my marbles there for a while :p

7. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Yeah, I got confused too. I think what they're asking is whether the upcoming Verizon version of the N1, which is CDMA-compatible, will also be GSM-compatible ala a "world phone." It should reasonably retain GSM compatibility, but dunno what Verizon might do to it.

8. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Best Buy Sales
    Baton Rouge
    I would believe that Verizon wouldn't do anything to the phone since Google is the one selling it...unless it goes to stores, NOOOOO

9. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    :D hehehehe...

10. MancusoX

Nov 25, 2009
    Student at Penn State
    You hit the nail right on the head.

11. QrafTee

The OP is asking about the Verizon's version of the Nexus One which will probably not include a SIM slot. Don't believe me? Look at the Droid and the Milestone.

Although I hope I'm wrong because I would like to bring my phone out of country.

12. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    well - I don't think HTC has ever made a hybrid CDMA/GSM HTC... while some Blackberries are VZW "world" phones, like the Storm, and Tour - have both CDMA and GSM on board... they're the exception not the rule for verizon phones... i highly doubt the Desire will be a dual cdma/gsm style world phone - just too thin to cram all that in there... But who knows...

13. androidmaddy

androidmaddy Member

Aug 18, 2008
    This is THE question I am waiting to be answered before I buy my Nexus One. I wish to use Verizon service, but want to be able to use local SIM cards when I visit other countries. Some time ago, I read on the Nexus One FAQ that Verizon Nexus One is NOT going to be compatible with GSM networks, but I can't seem to find that information on Google.com/phone now. Maybe there has been a change in the plan and they intend to prepare a phone compatible with both Verizon network and world GSM :). Here's hope to freedom of choice of cellphone service providers!

14. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you!
    Administrator

Mar 26, 2008
    Androiding
    AndroidMaddy! Welcome back!

Back on track - I agree that we'll have to wait and see the specs of what Verizon is offering. I'm not terribly optimistic it will be a world phone or have SIM-card support but that would be an amazing surprise. I doubt it will be more than a month or two until it's announced officially.

15. MancusoX

Nov 25, 2009
    Student at Penn State
    I hope it turns out to be a world phone. It would be a waste to buy a N1 and use it for a few months, then go to a different country for a few months and just let the N1 collect dust.

16. QrafTee

Dude, quoted for truth man. Even though I don't see Verizon allowing it, I would love to be able to take this phone from the U.S. to China, Japan, Korea, or Vietnam.

Tags: