Do you think I would be able to use the Verizon Nexus One in another country?

Last Updated:

1. MancusoX

MancusoX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am currently in college and I am going to be studying in Germany for a semester in the spring of 2011. I would like to know if I would be able to use the Nexus One in Germany if I buy one. Might it be like the Blackberry Storm and have Sim card on it for world use?

Advertisement
  2. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

No idea about the properties of the Verizon sim-card, which is what you are really asking, except that Verizon is a US network - we don't have it in Europe.
    The nexus, given an appropriate simcard, WILL work wonderfully - no doubt you have noticed a fair few posts from UKers-who-shipped the-nexus-from-US whilst you have been reading the forums :rolleyes:

This Verizon International Cell Phone Service Information suggests you would incur significant roaming charges so I'm guessing that the best (and cheapest, no doubt) option would be to purchase a simcard for a German network once you are in Europe - we have them over here too, ya know, along with running water and central heating ;) (joke!!!, no offence meant!!)

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Germany/Germany-Guide/Telephone-Internet/Mobile-phones

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

It is very doubtful. I would love the Nexus One to be a world phone, but there has been no hint of it at all so it's unlikely that it will have a SIM slot to use out of the country.

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Uhh, the N1 is a world phone. Standard GSM. Insert a SIM card and voila, instant usability.

If you're buying the Verizon CDMA version, though, then you probably deserve being stuck without GSM viability. :)

5. Soupdragon

Now I really am confused - the Nexus One does have a SIM slot and I'm absolutely using mine "out of the country"
    Did the OP mean something else entirely to which you are responding?

6. Soupdragon

Cheers, grainy!!
    Thought I was losing my marbles there for a while :p

7. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got confused too. I think what they're asking is whether the upcoming Verizon version of the N1, which is CDMA-compatible, will also be GSM-compatible ala a "world phone." It should reasonably retain GSM compatibility, but dunno what Verizon might do to it.

8. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

I would believe that Verizon wouldn't do anything to the phone since Google is the one selling it...unless it goes to stores, NOOOOO

9. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

:D hehehehe...

10. MancusoX

You hit the nail right on the head.

11. QrafTee

The OP is asking about the Verizon's version of the Nexus One which will probably not include a SIM slot. Don't believe me? Look at the Droid and the Milestone.

Although I hope I'm wrong because I would like to bring my phone out of country.

12. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

well - I don't think HTC has ever made a hybrid CDMA/GSM HTC... while some Blackberries are VZW "world" phones, like the Storm, and Tour - have both CDMA and GSM on board... they're the exception not the rule for verizon phones... i highly doubt the Desire will be a dual cdma/gsm style world phone - just too thin to cram all that in there... But who knows...

13. androidmaddy

androidmaddy Member

This is THE question I am waiting to be answered before I buy my Nexus One. I wish to use Verizon service, but want to be able to use local SIM cards when I visit other countries. Some time ago, I read on the Nexus One FAQ that Verizon Nexus One is NOT going to be compatible with GSM networks, but I can't seem to find that information on Google.com/phone now. Maybe there has been a change in the plan and they intend to prepare a phone compatible with both Verizon network and world GSM :). Here's hope to freedom of choice of cellphone service providers!

14. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

AndroidMaddy! Welcome back!

Back on track - I agree that we'll have to wait and see the specs of what Verizon is offering. I'm not terribly optimistic it will be a world phone or have SIM-card support but that would be an amazing surprise. I doubt it will be more than a month or two until it's announced officially.

15. MancusoX

I hope it turns out to be a world phone. It would be a waste to buy a N1 and use it for a few months, then go to a different country for a few months and just let the N1 collect dust.

16. QrafTee

Dude, quoted for truth man. Even though I don't see Verizon allowing it, I would love to be able to take this phone from the U.S. to China, Japan, Korea, or Vietnam.

17. MKeditor

MKeditor Well-Known Member