do you think the days of unlimited data are soon to go away

Last Updated:

1. crenita

crenita Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is a sad day for me. ......After reviewing the past practices of both Verizon and ATT ,I feel that now that ATT has begun the chg to LIMIT data plans.. the end is near for all of us...
    This unlimited idea was a teaser program just to get us all hooked on the smartphone and feel like we cannot live without it .
    Somehow I feel like I was dumb not to realize this and bought into this concept. I for one will not seriously consider plans that meter my use.. I don't have that w my PC and won't consider it for my cell..
    If another carrier chg's or continues to use the unlimited concept then I will flip. I have been w Verizon for > 10 yrs... so this is not an easy call. but will make it if I have too....

I am not happy about this and don't want to ...I am sad.:(

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

No telling. Verizon and at&t will but there are other carriers out there. If enough people vote with their dollars, Verizon and at&t will listen.

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I don't think so.
    For the vast majority of smartphone users a cap of 2GB is probably more than enough. AT&T has said numerous times that it is the iPhone users putting the hurt on their system, not BB or other users. By implementing caps and charging more they are going to make the heavy users pay through the nose, and they will pay because they have no other choice (right now) with the iPhone.
    If Verizon follows suit the majority of folks won't know or care...look at the mandatory $9.99 for 'feature' phones data use. Folks have complained from the start but the charge is still there and not going anywhere. Verizon knows they have the best network, and now great phones, customers aren't going anywhere in great numbers...not great enough numbers to make a difference.
    Sure, BB and Android users will be up in arms about a cap but it isn't going to make them re-think anything. If they lose a few people along the way it really won't matter in the big picture.

4. CalledFollower

CalledFollower Well-Known Member

AT&T also said this is for new customers. That existing customers are grandfathered in. We shall see what happens. To bad they weren't following Sprints unlimited plan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I bet it will go away.

but frankly, I do not care so much. I have been watching my usage and I have never ever even comes close to 2gb. Now, I go over the 250mb usage all the time. So, the bummer - if you use the ATT model - is that I would get screwed on the low usage plan (where I could actually save money) and not use the higher plan, but have to pay for the higher plan. So, 2gb would work for me but it would irritate me to pay the high end fee and know I couldn't get "unlimited".

the 250mb low end plan was picked very purposefully as that is to huge jump. They should have picked the low end plan to be like 500mb and I would be good and could save money. but of course, they picked a # that is on the threshold for so many, they know they will trap you into the higher plan anyway.

6. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member

We would be grandfatheres in until we upgrade our phon and plan. At that point I Will switch to a different carrier out of principle.

7. krouget

krouget Well-Known Member

Our unlimited data plan isn't really unlimited, anyway. I believe it peaks at 5GB, which the vast majority of users never come close to, including heavy ones.

If you use WiFi, its even less of an issue. I've used as low as 3MB during one cycle, and typically don't hit 200MB with casual use. Perhaps in the long term, once 4G networks exist and phones start using that much more data, it might be an issue, but I feel its a bit premature to be concerned now.

The changes only affect new users, and its the exceptional heavy user who will be charged more (and if you think about it, rightfully so). Most others who don't use much data will save money (rightfully so).

8. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

As I understand it, flash 10.0 will come with froyo and with that a lot of people's data usage is likely to increase. You don't really think the carriers are going to pass up the chance to cash in on that do you?

9. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

When 4G comes for Verizon and Att, it's going to be buckets of data to start, so better get accustomed to it, even though it sucks.

10. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

IIRC, there is a thread around here that shows that was a wrong rumor - one I also heard. some incorrect text on the VZW site that was not updated when the unlimited plans hit and IIRC VZW corrected it. unlimited is in fact unlimited.

11. krouget

krouget Well-Known Member

It looks like you did recall correctly, although it wasn't a rumor. Apparently a number of users were cut off for excessive data usage under the unlimited plan, but Verizon lost in a lawsuit with regard to that.

Either way, good to know its unlimited.

12. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Somehow they need to distinguish between:
    Downloaders and average users
    Streaming Radio/Pandora Users
    and Tethers

There are big differences. Although tethering is awesome and it helped me in a pinch when ComCrap was down - people take advantage, it gets noticed, and affects others (possibly)

Please don't torrent movies on "free" tether :)

13. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

As stated by others in this thread and other threads regarding this topic, I'm fairly sure that IF Verizon ever did this, all existing customers will be grandfathered in. This means that new customers and customers who change their plan will have to choose between the capped plans, but the rest of us will be able to keep our current unlimited plan.

Kratos

14. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

I typically use just over 200 MB a month, so the plan that ATT has would save me money. Of course I'd still have to go with the 2GB plan for $25 since I go over 200, but it still saves me 5 more dollars a month than the current $30 unlimited does.

15. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to think the heads of the big carriers all get together a couple times a year. ATT says to Verizon 'you set the precident with the high ETF and we'll get rid of unlimited'. It seems one of the big carriers makes a change like this then the rest follow.

16. rb240z

rb240z Active Member

If verizon was smart they should either offer an unlimited as an option or a 5gb options, just so they would be a better deal. I use 4gb a month without tethering. I stream slacker while working. 8-10hrs, 6-7days a week and constantly use for internet browsing and now flash movie sites.
    They need to show they promote smartphone use more than at&t who are going to get a lot of complaints once people start seeing their new bills. Sprint will not be dropping theirs because they cant afford to lose anymore customers. Yes I am a heavy user, but I also paid $45 for unlimited for a long time when i used my xv6700. I feel like over the past 6years i have paid a lot for data i barely used until this year.