Do you use a lockscreen?General

1. spetzie

spetzie Active Member

I'm not talking about a passcode, I'm talking about a lock screen that all you do is click on the little lock icon (or slide it) and your desktop comes up. I don't see the point in them. There's nothing sensitive on my phone so I don't need security on the lockscreen and I have never accidentally knocked the phone on in my pocket so I don't bother. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Advertisement
  2. S Chonson

S Chonson Well-Known Member

I have a pin code. I have paranoia. :p
  3. gkuhlen

gkuhlen Member

I have a 7 digit pin
  4. Anas javaid

Anas javaid Member

Without the lock screen your screen can be turned on by pressing any button on your phone eg volume buttons so it's better to have one then taking your phone out some day and finding out that Uve been on a call with your ex for last 15 minutes :p
  5. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

I do and I use a pin when I am out in public
  6. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Just the information we needed to crack it faster! :D

I can't imagine leaving a smartphone unlocked. Maybe if all you had on there was personal email and no contacts (somehow). I have access to business data though, so clearly it's necessary.
  7. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

I have always used a pass code with my cellphones. I have a lot of personal data and I don't want to pocket dial someone.
  8. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member

I never had until this phone. Something about it makes it want to go off in my pocket. So I just use a gesture of some sort. Kinda a PITA most of the time, but no more pocket dials
  9. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Really?

I have a lot of sensitive information on my phone. All my passwords (encrypted and protected by another password so not actually vulnerable unless they want to copy the database and crack it at leisure, which they could), all my contacts, access to all my emails, access to my DropBox, Evernote notes, texts etc. I could go on but you get the picture.

I regard the contents of my phone as being highly sensitive and I am very surprised that you don't as well. Added to all this is the possibility that someone could masquerade as me via SMS or email if they stole my phone.

As you can probably guess, my phone is PIN protected.
    Crashumbc likes this.
  10. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

^^^ this ^^^

I find it difficult to believe that anyone that actually uses their smart phone in today's age, doesn't have information on there that shouldn't be protected.
  11. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

One would think. With identity theft at such a high percentage, its a must to protect your phone. With todays cellphones, people treat them as less important. Go to any coffee shop and count how many wallets you see sitting out on a table as opposed to cellphones. Another thing, is your not just protecting your info, but everyone else's info that's on your cell too. So be careful who has your contact info. (You never know what or what they don't do with it.)
  12. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

I don't use a lock screen. When I press the "Home" button I want to get right to work. I turn my phone "on" hundreds of times a day and I don't need another step between me and productivity.

13. Adara

Adara Well-Known Member

I used to use a lock screen for fear of the dreaded Butt Dial.

(True story: I was in the audience for a play -- a ghost story -- and I put my phone on vibrate and turned it off, before placing it in my pocket and ignoring it. At the end of the play, the phone started vibrating in my pocket. Scared me half to death.)

I now use a pattern, with which I have a love/hate relationship. Love, because OMG, there is so much sensitive data on my phone. I mean, sure, I didn't let it remember passwords for my alarm system or my banking, but I've got apps for both those things in there. And anyone who may get access to my phone would immediately know where I live (thank you "my home" in Navigation), could tweet and email as me, could call my parents and claim to know me (for some relatively sophisticated fraud, if they were into that sort of thing), could buy stuff on amazon, and, for giggles, could mess with my thermostat.

OTOH, the damn thing drives me crazy because the phone locks when I'd rather it didn't -- like when it's in the car cradle. Look, if I'm going to do something of questionable legality like set my nav when I'm stopped at a red light, I want to do it with the fewest keystrokes possible. (Indeed, unlocking the phone while in the car cradle is why I switched from PIN to pattern -- easier to swipe a pattern than hit precise keys.) I would consider setting tasker to turn off the lock when it's in the car cradle, but I don't like to think a thief could bypass what little security I have by just jamming the phone in a dock.
  14. maus421

maus421 Well-Known Member

Where do you guys leave your phone to need a pin? I just have a lockscreen 'cause my old phones would somehow open apps up and start typing in them. I would take a break from work and see Evernote open with HLgfifgKHGFMfds written over important notes. :/
  15. Adara

Adara Well-Known Member

In my back pocket or my purse. In Los Angeles. Sometimes at night. In neighborhoods of varying levels of dodginess.

I don't expect to get robbed, but it could happen, and I like the idea that a PIN or pattern will provide an extra level of security so that maybe the bad guy can't break into my phone in the time it'll take me to log on to Lookout and brick the damn thing.
  16. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Well-Known Member

I've got a short 4 digit pin, just to ensure there's no pocket dialing. A few weeks ago I was out with friends and everytime I pulled my phone out it was either in some app, contact or website, got fed up and set a pin.

I've also got quite a bit of sensetive data, from codes to pics, so probably better that I lock it.
  17. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

And I don't expect to lose my phone but that could happen as well.

The consequences of someone accessing my phone could be very serious. I'm not taking any chances. If it means I have to type in a PIN when I'm out of the house (it's disabled automatically at home) that's a minor inconvenience I am very willing to tolerate.
  18. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

I use the standard swipe to unlock lockscreen. There is nothing i am extremely worried about people seeing. but if i do lose it, i can remotely wipe it with cerberus
  19. jet987

jet987 Active Member

just like shmn, i don't use a lock screen. i turn it on about a hundred times a day, a lock screen would be frustrating. I take the risk and hope it won't be stolen.
  20. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member

I have to use the lock screen with security code/pin due to having VPN setup so I can access all of my home network while away from home. DD-WRT running on Cisco/Linksys E4200 router at the house + Android device is a great combination for me.
  21. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

I've never lost a mobile phone since I've started using them in the 90s. Back then, however, I lived with two younger brothers so a form of protection was necessary. Additionally, with exposed buttons, it was more than possible to butt/pocket-dial. These days with bar phones, it's not impossible, but it's harder. My phone is as attached to me at the hip as my son is so I always know where it is. I keep better track of my phone than I do my wallet (lost twice over the years) and ended up getting a chained one. When my son is old enough to reach for it I'll probably start locking my phone again.
  22. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

That's a funny story about shocking yourself when your phone turned on and buzzed your butt. :D

I'd recommend changing your screen lock interval to 30 min. That way, if the phone screen sleeps naturally, you can hit the home key to wake it up while driving and not have to swipe unlock it. But if you aren't driving and want more security, just tap the power button to instantly lock it.
    Adara likes this.
  23. sborah99

sborah99 New Member

Hi all,

I just upgraded from a Sony Xperia Play to a Galaxy S4 yesterday, and I must say I love the hell out of this phone! Probably the only thing I don't like about it is it won't give me the security I had on my Xperia Play. On the Xperia Play, you had to swipe from side to side to get to the home screen. I added a PIN number after the swipe for an extra level of security. But I can't figure out a way to do this on my Galaxy S4. I can use the swipe which I like but it won't let me combine that with a PIN number. Is there a way to do this, or am I out of luck with it?

Thanks.
  24. R=G

R=G Well-Known Member

I got a pin code on mine...got alot of stuff. Can't be playing out here. LOL.
  25. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member

You've kind of answered your own question. "There's nothing sensitive on my phone." In that case, it really doesn't matter. As soon as there is, you might rethink that.