• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use chomp or handcent?

I like handcent because it allows you to reply to a text without having to unlock the phone.

When a text comes in a pop up allows you to reply or cancel. Either way, it's a feature I don't think Chomp has. For some reason, with the recent update to the Chomp app it now force closes on me when I tried to send a message.

Chomp does the same. I use lock 2.0 and it pops up over the lock screen and allows me to reply, delete or whatever then closes. I dont know about over the HTC lock screen

Upvote 0
I had both Chomp and Handcent on my Hero. They are both similar, except the Handcent easily works with MMS.

chomp supports mms now, if that is what you're taking about.

I guess it is more personal preference from what I hear, although I was just curious as to why Chomp has more downloads than Handcent in the market? (according to this: Android Market )

And another question, when these apps are updated, how does this happen, do you have to remove it then reinstall the newer app? Or does it do it automatically?

You can check in the market app under "my downloads" and it will show if there is an update available for any currently installed apps on your device. It then(if you choose to update) simply downloads the update and installs it. It won't lose any of your settings or prefs.;)

Upvote 0
do you have to use sms popup if you use chomp or handcent? Or do these programs already have the pop up? (when phone is asleep and/or awake)

They both have their own popup.

I have both installed. I have played with the stock app as well as SMS popup and just didn't care for sms popup.

Stock app handles everything, and very well. But it is not as "pretty" as the others.

It seems the only way to send a vcard is using the stock app. Neither handcent or chomp allows that.

Chomp seems a bit faster to me, so I am using that now and am satisfied. I really like how it handles the options, gives you a preview of how it will look. Much easier to config it how you want without doing the trial and error method. Now that it supports MMS, I will most likely uninstall handcent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones