• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use the physical keyboard?

Do you use the physical keyboard?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 104 37.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 32.5%
  • No, I use the virtual keyboard, speech to text, or Swype

Votes: 83 30.0%

• Total voters
I've used the keyboard maybe 5 times and I've had my Droid since day 1. Guess you can put me in the "hate it" category as a result.

The Eris was just too slow and I've owned a Nexus One as well but T-Mobile's service is still garbage where I live. I will be ditching the Droid for the HTC Incredible in a few weeks. Less bulk and no keyboard with Android 2.1 + Verizon is just what I'm looking for.

Same here, I have always hated the keyboard because I don't like outdated technology. I tried the Eris and even the omnia 2 prior to getting the Droid because I don't want a physical keyboard. I am paying retail to upgrade to the N1 or incredible as soon as they are available on verizon.

Upvote 0
I always hated texting, so, - No. I started to try it on the Droid. I never had a keyboard that size, so it was getting a little easier, but still too frigin' much work for me. So I gave up on that, and it didn't take long. I wz nvr 1 4 f-netk typng, either. I hate doing it, and I hate reading it!!! HATE it!

...Then I installed Swype. Now I'm a Swype-aholic! I can text at an average speed, grammatically correct, with Swype correcting my spelling (I'm a crappy speller).

-Of course NOW I get the whole phonetic text language. Not being a texter at all, ever, I didn't realize the whole idea was to save space due to character limits in the message. I always thought it was just for speed. (Yes, really. I'm that slow.)

Ahh well. Love my Droid. :)

Upvote 0
I use the physical keyboard and the landscape software keyboard. The portrait keyboard is too small. And maybe I'm missing something, but when using the software kb I can't easily place the cursor in the text to make edits. I have to keep trying to tap in just the right place and usually end up deleting a few chars just to get where I want it. On the physical board I can use the direction button to scroll easily.

Upvote 0
The physical keyboard is great. It is more then just for typing. Learning and using all the shortcuts is way faster than finding the icons. Most of my apps I launch from the keyboard. Much faster when multi tasking.
I bet most who dislike the keyboard have never really tried the shortcuts.

I was never even aware that there were keyboard shortcuts! :eek:
Thanks. How do you open up a specific app with a keyboard shortcut like you said you could?

Upvote 0
I was never even aware that there were keyboard shortcuts! :eek:
Thanks. How do you open up a specific app with a keyboard shortcut like you said you could?
Simply hold the search button and press a letter or number.
Example: search+m=Market

To set shortcuts. Menu-setting- application-quick launch. Long press to clear and double tap to add applications.
A-Z and 0-9.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones