1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Do your navigation button lights turn off?Support

1. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

The soft buttons on the bottom of your screen, the navigation buttons, does the light turn off when you're not touching the screen for a short time? I know that's the way it works on my phone. I thought my N10 used too but now they do not .. ever.

If its just me and not normal, time for an RMA exchange.

Advertisement
    :
  2. peaches1998

peaches1998 Member

The navigation buttons remain lighted on all of my browsers as well but disappear when using the Netflix app which is my primary movie streaming app. They remain lighted when streaming from Amazon Prime on Demand, however. But putting the movie in Full Screen almost makes the buttons inconsequential. I doubt that a new tablet would work any differently.

Shelly
    Atma likes this.
  3. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Thank you Shelly. Do your movies fill up the whole screen or letterbox? All I ever get on Amazon is letterbox.

Also, if you're just looking at your homescreen and doing nothing, do the navigation button lights stay on there as well?
  4. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Ok, I signed up for a Netflix trial just for these stupid lights. :D

They do go out with Netflix so I guess mine is normal.
  5. peaches1998

peaches1998 Member

We should be sure that we both are understanding Full Screen the same. Traditionally, Full Screen would chop off the sides of a 16:9 movie and just show the center most image to fill the tv screen. This was first done to satisfy folks who had a 4:3 aspect tv but I doubt that these are even made anymore.

These folks would rather watch a movie filling their screen than see the original aspect ratio as it played in the theater and as how the director intended it to be.

On the tablet, Full Screen means to fill as much as the screen as possible using the original aspect ratio. It does not chop off the sides of the movie to fill the screen.

Netflix takes advantage of the entire N10 screen but will have small horizontal black bars on top and bottom if the movie aspect ratio is greater than 16:9, the Cinemascope type movie.

With Amazon on Demand, Full Screen removes all the controls, ads et al from the actual movie screen but maintains the original aspect ratio. The initial view when the movie starts is Letterboxed but once you press the Full Screen button, it switches to the original aspect ratio.

I've only watched one movie on it so far, Rango, and it is a widescreen movie showing in what you called Letterbox. It's actually not Letterboxed as the screen touches both sides of the screen once you activate the Full Screen button. True Letterbox would be in the 16:9 ratio but with a black border on all 4 sides. The Amazon presentation is the original aspect ratio.

Most of the newer movies are in an aspect ratio greater than 16:9 so these movies will all have small black bars top and bottom but they will extend from side to side. Only a true 16:9 will completely fill the N10 screen. If you watch The Story of India in Amazon, it is 16:9 and pressing the Full Screen button wil give you the movie completely filling the N10 screen on all 4 sides.

In order to have uninterrupted viewing, however, you need to disable the screen saver which can't be done as far as I know. So setting it to the maximum time, 30 minutes, and then tapping the screen regularly should get you through the movie uninterrupted.

Netflix, thankfully, with its app just shows the entire movie as a default.

Shelly
    chiph411 and Atma like this.
  6. peaches1998

peaches1998 Member

I'm so glad that you did. I love Netflix and find that it is the best $8 a month I have ever spent. Once you start to watch things, it will then make recommendations based on similar themes. I stream more from Netflix than watch cable tv or bluray discs.

The only downside to it is that they no longer have the movies the week they are released due to legal matters et al. so you have to wait a bit to watch them but there is usually a short or no wait time once they are released to Netflix.

Shelly
  7. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

By letterbox I meant the black bars above and below.

The only experience I have with Netflix is for the TV. Their movie selection for DVD and streaming is not the same. When new movies come out on DVD, they may be available in streaming at some point but the DVD selection far surpasses the streaming selection as far as new releases. Is it different on mobile with the app?
  8. peaches1998

peaches1998 Member

You are correct with all you say. But they have so much streaming that I am constantly discovering movies and TV series that I never heard of or watched before.I just finished about 120 episodes of Alias which I became addicted to.

I highly recommend Microcosmos, a maco lens look at the world of insects, especially for the amazing HD picture that will show off this tablet better than any other I have seen.

Shelly
  9. Bhelios

Bhelios Well-Known Member

Just another one chiming in on the greatness of Netflix... my instant queue grows longer every day -- so much good stuff. Really really loving the availability of BBC content.

(don't have the N10 yet... still in love (borderline obsession) with my wifi Xoom... it'll be 2 years old in March -- probably look to replace it then.)
    Atma likes this.