Dock & Car Mount OptionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This could end up being a problem for manufacturers. I think there was a bit of shortsightedness by the designers or lack of communication between the product designers and the software designers. It looks like menus, main screens, car app and other apps don't work in landscape, but the charging port is on the side, which seems to be a bit of a conflict. I think options are going to be limited to the phone docking in portrait because of the menus, but tricky to design because of the charging port being on the side.

The only dock that I've seen - I think in a Verizon document somewhere - looked to be a landscape style. How could that work? Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

I went into a vzw store to get a charger yesterday and asked about the accessories they had in the back for the Inc. She brought out a car mount with an Inc in it to show me. It's a bit bulky in my opinion. It was landscape with the option to rotate the phone once mounted... I don't know if this clarifies anything for you.

As for a charging dock... I can't help. :\

Bundy likes this.
  3. Bundy

Thanks. Going to be interesting to see what they come up with, and if this is the biggest problem I'll be happy.

4. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

I believe that using a GPS in landscape is the worst waste of space. The current trend of getting a "widescreen" GPS unit is based solely upon the popularity of the new TVs, which have legitimate reasons for being landscape shaped.

However, when it comes to GPS units, everything you need to know is in FRONT of you. Using the GPS in portrait mode will allow you to see more of what's ahead of you. In landscape mode, you see more of what's beside you. Who cares?

I'll be glad to see some designers and engineers not so worried what's popular and stick with what is practical. If the Incredible can only do the car dock in portrait... GOOD! It'll force everyone to get the most use out of the screen and realize that we've been doing it wrong all along.

phositadc likes this.
  5. Bundy

I don't disagree. My point was more that the design of the phone begs for landscape docking but the design of the UI screams for portrait.

6. Colchicine

Bundy, that wasn't aimed at you. I've had those thoughts in my head for several months and saw it as a place to rant.

7. Bundy

Well then I'm glad i gave you a place to get that off your chest!

8. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I disagree. Landscape/widescreen allows the GPS software to put the extra information to the side of the map. Things like the next turn, distance, time, street name, etc. The map can get crowded with all that stuff on top of it.

9. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Well-Known Member

My local VZ store did not have Charging Docks and told my wife they were not in stock, so they probably won't be there the day of release, he also couldn't tell her the price so I believe him. They had pretty much everything else though.

10. Colchicine

I was looking at the sheet of paper that Best Buy used for their pre-orders. It clearly shows the DInc in landscape mode on it's RIGHT side. Obviously shopped!