• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Docked Atrix + Webtop over WIFI?

I cannot verify that it has been done, but the answer may be at this link.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/62929/p_country_code/US

The link above is directly from MOTOROLA! It says VERY CLEARLY...."Tip: You can utilize Webtop via WiFi at any time without the need for a tethering plan. The tethering plan is only required if you want to utilize webtop over the 3G/4G network. " Someone at Motorola needs to get with someone at ATT if they want to sell some docks!

After countless trips to ATT and calls to support I could not get a single person to tell me that you can use the dock over WiFi. A good attorney could have a field day with the link above and a single trip to an ATT store where they will tell him that he needs a " Tethering Package " added to his account.

I feel, as I am sure all other Atrix owners may, that the idea of having the Webtop over Wifi is a wonderful solution to utilize. If you work from your vehicle...you place your phone in the vehicle dock, when you get home you place it in your WebTop dock and Viola!

For now I will wait until ATT verifies that I can indeed do this and put it in writing so that I dont see " Tethering " charges applied to my account.

Upvote 0
My reply to omniman's post about the same topic in the Atrix Accessories forum:

I used the Atrix with the HD Dock on my TV for Webtop over WiFi a couple times in the middle of March and I don't have tethering on my account. My bill from April 4 doesn't show any charges for tethering and I still have the unlimited data plan transferred over from my Blackberry.

If you're really concerned about it, maybe you can enable airplane mode to shut off the radio and then enable WiFi so that data only goes through WiFi.

Upvote 0
So I saw a refurb. on AT&T's website, for under $200. I'm considering it, but in the discription, it says that the 4GB data tethering plan is required. I have the unlimited data plan, which i don't want to change, and only plan to use the Lapdock over wifi. With that said, I have two questions: 1) Can I still make the purchase thru AT&T? 2) When not on wifi, I want to be able to watch movies saved to SD card, view pictures, check e-mail, send SMS and edit/create documents, that I currently have saved on my phone. (I'm using the paid version of "Quick Office Pro"), will I still be able to do all of these? Thanks

Upvote 0
Well, I am the proud owner of a refurb lapdock that I got for $175. (It looks brand new.) The built quality is of high quality. Its made out of metel, very thin and compact in size. (I don't own a laptop, netbook, notebook or tablet.) I've only had it a few days, but thought I'd give the answers to my questions, in case someone else was wondering the same thing.

1) I was able to purchase thru AT&T's website and kept my unlimited data plan.

2) I am able to watch movies stored in internal memory or SD card, as well as Netflix, view my pictures, check my e-mails, send SMS and edit/create word, excel, power point presentations and view PDF's. (Most of this done in the Mobil view.) I can excess the internet using the browser app, in the mobile view. This is great since now I have access to the internet no matter where I go.

I'm going out of town and will be taking this with. I will report back as to how my experience is. I will say though, the lapdock charges the phone really fast and the battery life seems on pair with the 8 hrs of use as specified.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones