Docks (How to find/get one?)

Last Updated:

1. mobile1

mobile1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So where, other than eBay do I find a dock? Verizon won't even take orders online or in my local store.

Advertisement
  2. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member

I ordered two mm docks and one car dock through verizon customer service. try calling them directly.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

In the long running other thread about the docks, it was suggested to use a different ZIP code when searching for availability - that is what I did to get the Multimedia Dock.

I ordered the Car Dock (for navigation) when I bought the phone, and modified it (cut out a hole over where the speaker is) to be able to hear it better.

4. mobile1

So how does one search for accessories by zip code?

5. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

When you're in the verizonwireless website and you've searched for the mm cradles, check the top right corner and it'll say the city you're in, and you can change your city by clicking on it. If there is no city, then you can try adding the item to cart and putting a zip code there to search for availability.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I always urge everyone to use the magnet hack to avoid spending $30. Attach the magnet to an existing generic $5 dock that the Droid fits into. But that's just me.

Magnet hack: Get a decently strong, linearly magnetized magnet and attach it to the back of the Droid near the "by Google" print. To go into the other dock mode, use the other pole of the magnet.

7. johnlgalt

I opted for the official docks myself. I bought the car dock (windshield mount for GPS Navigation) b/c I was pretty sure that I would have to buy a regular dock anyway, and this one is made for the phone. I bought the multimedia dock b/c not only doe sit allow me to use the MM mode - it charges too. makes for a perfect alarm clock in the morning.

I already spent the money on the phone - might as well have the correct accessories as well.

8. mobile1

I do have dockrunner installed so I can make it act like it is the dock but I rally want a dock for a nice clean look on my nightstand. (Oddly enough my long time projection alarm clock gave up the ghost a few days before I got the Droid.)

9. AllDroid

AllDroid Well-Known Member

Verizon web site shows that they are out of docks but when I called they took my order and I now have both Docks. I like that the Multimedia dock comes with a charger. But you have to buy the car charger as the Auto dock has none.

10. darrinaltman

darrinaltman Well-Known Member

I tried about 10 different states and they all show the dock out of stock. Please update this thread if you find a city/state with them. I too want one.

11. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I had one and returned it. I have the silicongel case and won't give it up. I'll make my own dock so I can keep the case on.

12. johnlgalt

Same here

Yup - I used Monoprice to get a single USB port Cigarette lighter adapter and a 10 ft USB to Micro USB cable - including shipping I paid a whopping $4.50 US.

Car adapter - For only $0.87 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - White | Car Charger Accessories

10' cable - For only $1.12 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 10ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type

I plan on using the 10' cable at home with the multimedia dock, and the 3' cable that came with the dock with the car charger. I know some of you may not like the white color, but since I am going to be charging more than just the DROID in my car, I figured getting white was better than waiting for the black ones to come into stock.

I just tried it - I have the ZIP code saved in IE that I used and it too is showing out of stock. Try calling then (and if you get an EPP, try asking them to apply it even though you're doing a call in order).

13. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I bought 3, but thinking about returning them. I'm still on the fence wondering if I want the Eris, another BlackBerry, or just ride out the Droid and see what comes down the road.

14. johnlgalt

You might can make better deals with folks here via PM - especially if you got an EPP applied to their prices.

15. LadyPilot

LadyPilot New Member

Built my own car dock with magnets from Radio Shack and velcro from my sewing kit.
    Sits on top of steering colum, velcro wraps around.
    Best thing about it - doesn't block any part of the windshield.
    Version 1 photo: (If you need a larger photo let me know)
    [​IMG]
    Version 2 is going to mount vertically to the left of my steering column. That way I can see farther ahead where I am going.
    LadyPilot

16. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

Amazon has them for 29 bucks.
    Odie

17. famac!

famac! Well-Known Member

18. agemme27

agemme27 Well-Known Member

i can't even find them on verizon website anymore.

19. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Local Verizon stores seem to be the best bet right now. Call ahead though.

Mine had plenty.

20. jltung

jltung Member

21. odiej34

I find that Verizon kiosks in the mall seem to be in stock quite often. I bought one but decided to go with a case instead. I guess ill take it back and hope they dont send it back and resell it.

22. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Well-Known Member

I ordered one from Verizon's website and the order was canceled a week later, because it was on back order. So I went to my local store and they ordered one for me and it showed up on my front door two days later. It also included a charger and cable, which may or may not be standard.

23. odiej34

yeah, charger is standard.

24. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

I think androidcentral.com has a few mm stations.

25. 928gt

928gt Member

I got impatient waiting to get a MM Dock that works with a case and has a built in charger, sooooo...

I said to heck with it, grabbed a sheet of aluminum, walked over to my bend/cutter.. and after drilling a hole for the magnet, milling a slot for the mico USB to be glued in ... AND then powder coating it Silver Vein Metallic I ended up with this :)

If you look close you can see the built in micro USB connector in the brighter pics and the charge LED on it the darker pic. Will work until I buy something better when they are available.

Attached Files: