Doctors with iPhones

Last Updated:

1. peck1524

peck1524 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just a short story about my dealings with the iPhone at work that I found funny:

So I work in an Orhopaedic Office as an Orhopaedic Technician with about 9 doctors and PA's. I've had my HERO for a few months and absolutely love it!!! The doctors and PA's in my office just upgraded their phones from Sprint blackberry's to iPhones this week. They use their phones to sync with e-mail, surgery schedules etc as well as for personal use. They've been having issues with their brand new shiny iPhones since they've come out of the box (unable to sync, dropping calls etc.). Today I showed one of the doc's in my office my HERO and a few functions of the Android OS (including how I was easily able to sync it with the office outlook). He literaly got pissed and now wants to send back his iPhone.

Advertisement
  2. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

I went through the same thing. Fiance is an ER PA and at the XMas party all the docs had their iphones etc.

Well I showed them my Hero and what it could do and they were not happy. Hell, Fiance's Pre could do more than the iPhone.

Dont get me wrong, the iPhone has some really really sweet games and a slick interface.

If I want to play games I will use my xbox 360 though.

3. khaag27

khaag27 Well-Known Member

hehe thats awesome!!!

4. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Hero FTW! :D

5. chfields

chfields Well-Known Member

What can our phones do that the iphone can't?

6. artex101

artex101 Well-Known Member

When i was upgrading my 8330 to the Hero @ BB, the guy that was helping me out pulled out his iPhone saying thats "how he rolls" and asked me what makes me wanna switch from Berry to the HTC. "Well", I told him, "I love what you can do with the Android OS and of course the multitude of free apps on the Market. Plus the Hero will be a very welcome (fun) substitute for my Berry (work email)". His reply; "Yeah, well...I like to pay for my apps". Me and the wife just looked at each other... wtf?

7. chfields

Iphone and Hero both have free and paid apps.....

8. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Hero rocks!!!!!!

9. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

True, but the ratio of free vs paid is much higher on the Android market.

10. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

Run more than one thing at a time.

11. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

isn't that because of the number of Professionally created apps on iphone and winMob are higher in number.

Android apps are currently developed by individuals or smaller companies. But with the higher number off Android phones being released this year, and the higher power devices. It is said.. 2010 will be a great leap in the quality of apps in the android market.

I am excited.. to see what comes out!!!
    and of course the 2.1 .. so that we can use the newer apps.

12. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has to do with more "professionally" created apps being on the Apple market...but I think it has more to do with a lot of the OSS devs working on Android apps vs Iphone apps.

13. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Yes, no doubt 2010 will be an exciting year not only for the release of handsets/hardware for the Android OS, but for the POTENTIAL of the apps which will accompany it. Over a dozen + 1/2 Android mobile handsets to be released, with the Android beginning to make inroads to other devices as well. It is exciting for sure... all in all I'm happy with the apps available now. I have not been disappointed when needing to do something with my phone that was not native to its function (provided with phone) and within a minute or two, being able to goto market or web and locating an app which can accomplish the task I needed. No need for bells and whistles, although some require that, which is what the APPLE brand is all about... ALWAYS visual with those folks, lol...

Anyway, funny OP...

14. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

Google, so far, hasn't crapped all over their dev's like Apple will do from time to time. Apple doesn't allow apps that duplicate functions already provided by Apple and AT&T. Apple is apparently also in the business of deciding what is and is not morally and socially acceptable for their customers. There's a good article about the last bit on phandroid.

15. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Link to article please :)

16. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

17. vladgur

vladgur Active Member

Sure, iPhone cant run more than 1 app in the background, but email issues? Come on, if these guys had problems configuring iPhone's email client for their office email, they will have issues using an android-based set.
    Have you tried giving a locked android phone to a newbie user and note the amount of time it will take him to figure out how to unlock the screen and actually dial a number for the first time.
    Now do the same for iPhone.
    I currently use Hero and also have an iPhone for development purposes, so I can appreciate the beauty of the iPhone OS and the fact that app store policies are the suck for developers but not for end users. And i can see the striking contrasts in usability of htc hero(which while its running on same specs as iPhone 3g it took me rooting, flashing and tinkering to get it to some level of reduced lag).

Just wanted to cool your fanboi flames and put some reason into this iPhone-hating discussion.

18. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Well-Known Member

it took me 4 hours to figure out the hero and i never even heard of the hero let alone android before i took it home lol

19. vladgur

vladgur Active Member

Now take that 4 hours and multiply it by doctor's hourly rate and you'll get the idea of why iPhone sells so well

20. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

Run background applications, like Latitude and that is a big deal.

I have not seen so much whining and crying since I watched the Glenn Beck show...

21. oldjackbob

oldjackbob Well-Known Member

Do you mean a sleeping android phone?

Because I can give a locked android phone to a seasoned user and he won't be able to get into it for awhile. ;)

22. vladgur

vladgur Active Member

When I said locked I meant that you press "End Call" button which turns off the screen and locks most of the keys. Whether it sleeps or not really depends on the application it was running(try having 10 apps poll data from the internet every 10 minutes without you knowing---the beauty of background tasks)

23. chfields

What is Latitude??

24. Richw350

Richw350 Active Member

Pay half the price for service.

25. chfields

LOL!! Isn't that the truth!!!