does a branded phone need a branded update?

Last Updated:

1. christianrollinson

christianrollinson New Member This Topic's Starter

hi, please forgive my stupid question but i'm new to android after coming over from the horror of windows mobile ;)

i just got an unlocked hero off ebay with orange branded firmware (only noticable on startup splash screen) (build number 2.73.61.66 / i can only find mention of it in an italian forum!)

am i right in thinking that when the new 2.1 update comes out, i can get it off the htc site and install it on the phone regardless of the orange branding, or do i have to wait for the orange update (i assume this only applies to orange customers?) in which case i'll be going down the rooting/custom rom route.

i've been lurking here for the past 2 weeks and learnt so much, great forum, and i have to say i am absolutely smitten with the hero, it's astonishing :D

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Your phone can only run the Orange firmware releases, even if you're not using it on Orange. So looks like you'll be rooting :)

3. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Orange were quick off the mark with their branded update in the UK last time. It was pretty much the same time as the Unbranded version from HTC. T-Mobile on the other hand took weeks to get their act together.

4. christianrollinson

christianrollinson New Member This Topic's Starter

ok, that's great, thanks a lot guys :)

5. oldrover1938

oldrover1938 Member

Hi just read this so does this mean on T Mobile there will be a long wait for 2.1

6. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Well, if they learned from last time when the sh*t hit the fan, hopefully it will be more timely.