Support Does an SD card help with most apps anymore?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by JohnJSal, Jan 2, 2017.

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I remember reading something about how Google stopped allowing apps to have read/write permissions for SD cards, but I'm not sure if it's just Google apps, or most apps on the Play Store.

With my Fire tablet, everything I download gets stored on my SD card. Is this the case with an Android tablet? Will I actually be able to use the card, or are apps no longer allowed to install to external storage?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    What version of Android are you talking about?

3. psionandy

psionandy VIP Member
    VIP Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    button pusher
    liverpool
    Even Apps? I thought it was just movies books and music.....

(btw... I hope you're right, i have one in a box at the moment waiting for someone's birthday in a few days time....)

4. LV426

LV426  

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    UK
    Yup. I got a chunky 128GB SD card for my Fire tablet. It's plonked everything on the card, including all my apps.
    Nice gift, I'm loving it!

psionandy likes this.
  5. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, that's what I love about it. I think there may be one or two apps that can't install to the card, but almost all of them do.

And since there are a lot of "actually free" apps I want to try (mostly hidden object/adventure games), I like to download them as I find them and play them at my leisure. So this takes up quite a lot of space doing it that way, but I have a 64GB card, so I'm good for a long time.

psionandy likes this.
  6. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Any new tablet, so most likely Marshmallow or higher.

7. psionandy

psionandy VIP Member
    VIP Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    button pusher
    liverpool
    I know I didn't answer your question.... But thank you so much for answering mine... the tablet isn't for me, its for may daughter (MsPsionandy ;) ) and this will be awesome for her.... I'll go and buy her an sd card to go with it :D

JohnJSal likes this.
  8. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No problem! I have a Fire Tablet and a Nexus 7, and as good as the Nexus is, I just get drawn back to the Fire for some reason. It's become my gaming tablet, mainly for the reason above -- it can hold a ton of apps, which the Nexus can't do, lacking external storage as it does.

P.S. I think everything (apps, movies, pictures, books, etc.) installs to the SD card by default, but to be sure you may want to go into the storage settings and see that all the options for SD storage are checked.

psionandy likes this.
  9. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    You will be OK, it's a little different from previous versions but the principle is the same.

10. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Could you be a little more specific? Did they change and go back to allowing apps to install on the SD card? Or did I understand what was happening incorrectly?

Thanks!

11. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Yes if you use your SD card as Internal storage you can merge your SD card to the system memory and you can move installed apps to the card.

JohnJSal likes this.
  12. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ah, I see. So it doesn't really count as external storage anymore. But it still means I could have, say, an extra 64GB to use for anything, including apps?

Does it depend on which brand of Android I get, like a Samsung Tab, for example? Because I have an S7 and I don't think the merging thing is an option.

13. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Some devices made by Samsung, LG... don't allow using SD card for internal storage. This issue has been regularly reported here.

NeoZiggy likes this.
  14. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Anyway if your device comes with 32GB of storage or more, you don't really need to use a SD card for Internal storage, just use it as Portable storage.

NeoZiggy likes this.
  15. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So does that mean apps won't install to SD cards on these devices?

16. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with that option. What does portable storage mean, and how does that differ from the other options?

17. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    There is no option to install apps to SD card in stock Marshmallow.

NeoZiggy likes this.
  18. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Portable storage means you use your SD card independently, if you remove that card it will continue to work with other devices or computers. If you use the SD card as Internal storage it will only work with your device.

19. JohnJSal

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, then a device with stock Android will not let me install apps to the SD card, and other devices (Samsung, etc.) may or may not, depending on the tablet model and Android version?

This is confusing. I may just end up sticking with my Fire for games. I'm thinking of upgrading my Nexus 7 to something newer, perhaps a Samsung tablet, but I want to be absolutely sure I can install apps to the SD card.

20. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    If the manufacturers don't want you to use the SD card as Internal storage, they must have some valid arguments.

1. Frequent read/write operations on the SD card might make your device run slower.

2. If your device is malfunctioning, all data on the SD card will be lost unless you have made a backup of it.

3. A device must be able to run with or without the SD card, and as the SD card is optional, they can decide whether to let users use the OS's new feature.

enesha likes this.
  21. David Devoy

David Devoy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Male
    There are some material reasons not to use the SD card for apps but it would help it the phone companies would supply the devices free from bloatware you cant remove.

enesha likes this.
  22. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Phone companies or carriers - if you buy through a carrier they add their own bloat (Verizon Wireless being the worst in the Western hemisphere, just don't ask about some of the stuff on Chinese market phones...). But it actually only helps if they reduce the size of the system partition by the same amount: removing that stuff (possible if you are rooted) doesn't actually give you more space because it's in a different partition.

Personally having done both I'm happier not moving apps to SD, just using it for media and documents (and backing those up regularly - sd cards do fail, and anyway devices can be lost or stolen). But that only works if you have an adequate internal storage for apps: these days I personally wouldn't buy anything less than 32GB + SD, and would much prefer 64GB + SD.

badcatz and tommo47 like this.
  23. mikili

mikili New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    I have a class 4 microsd card set as adoptable storage and apps that are on it run noticeably slower than if they were in internal memory. Which class of cards do you guys use and what are your experiences with apps performances? I am thinking of getting faster class 10 card but better to ask here first.

24. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    VIP Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Class 4 is the slowest card available nowadays. A Class 10 isn't fast enough. You want a UHS 1, UHS 3 if you can afford. Even then it will still be slower because the fastest SD card is still slower than the onboard flash memory.

mikili likes this.
  25. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Is there any smartphone that supports UHS?