Does Andoid OS always include the whole Google experience?

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Android OS always includes Google voice commands, live search, Maps, free gps, etc... correct?

Advertisement
  2. androidfan87

androidfan87 Member

Google owns Android if I'm correct.

Why do you think the first Android phone was called "Google 1"?

3. funkdoctor

funkdoctor Well-Known Member

Google owns Android; not every Android phone is a Google phone. Android is open source and anyone can make an Android phone. OP I'm sure they all have Google maps but I don't know abut the rest. Android fan you should of done some research before posting.

4. androidfan87

androidfan87 Member

What is a "Google" phone though?

5. funkdoctor

I
    A "Google Experience" phone is one that is designed by Google and has access to exclusive apps such as the Gmail app and others. An Android phone would not have the Gmail app, but I'm not sure about Google maps because both Blackberry and iPhone have access to Google maps applications, so I don't think they would leave Android out. Pretty sure the HTC Hero is not a Google Experience phone, but the HTC Eris is.

6. androidfan87

androidfan87 Member

I have the Cliq, and it came with the Gmail app along with Google maps. I don't think the Cliq is a "Google" phone.

It also has the Google search widget.

7. funkdoctor

I'm not even sure why you posted this. Hopefully someone that knows the answer to the OP's original question can answer it, because you definitely do not and I admittedly do not either. I do know that not all Android phones or devices are Google phones or devices. You should be able to find that out by using Google.

8. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

My Hero is not a "Google Experience" phone but it still has all the Google apps.

9. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member

The G1 in the UK does not come with voice commands, and a limited googles maps.
    So the answer is no. If the carrier wants to remove some functionality, then they can.

10. funkdoctor

Correct. I checked a few sites this morning, and there already some Android phones/tablets that do NOT include the Google apps. The Acer Android notebook being one of them, and the Dell 3i. Appearantly AT&T has more than a few Android phones that will not have any of the Google Apps (including their own AT&T Market) coming this year. So no, not every Android phone is going to have all of the Google applications.

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

My understanding is that the only distinguishing "Google Experience" features are (a) a vanilla version of the Android OS, (b) a Google logo on the handset and (c) the ability to receive OTA updates to the OS or its components directly from Google.

edit: found this explanation on a dev forum. Dunno if it makes it any clearer though....

12. funkdoctor

Yeah, you could be right. I've heard a few different theories on what the definition of a "Google Experience" phone is. I did see a little blurb on Engadget about Android phones without "Google's blessing" would not receive the Gmail app or the Market - but I don't think they know for sure either. For whatever reason there are Android phones without the Google applications on them - IMO, it would take a lot away from the experience not having it tied in with my Gmail account.

13. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The most basic of "licence" (if you can term it that) is "no obligation". This allows manufacturers to install Android and restrict access to certain apps/games as they see fit, but doesn't allow pre-loading of Google apps.

14. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

I would not buy a handset that had been hobbled by the manufacturer or network. I expect full access to the Google eco-system - otherwise what would be the point in having Android?