• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Android 4.0.3 stock browser support SNI and client certificates for authentication?

bpostiff

Lurker
Jun 26, 2012
Hello,

I just upgraded my Galaxy S2 i777 to Android 4.0.3(official ROM). I have read various places online that ICS was going to have better support for client based certificate authentication etc. My questions are:

1. Does the stock browser, or any browser for Android properly support client based certification? That is, will the any browser prompt user to pick a certificate to authenticate themselves to a server?

2. Does the stock browser in Android support Server Name Indication?

I am trying to connect to my website which is SSL and requires a certificate for authentication. Everything works fine for desktop browsers, but I can not connect with Android. Inspection of the server error log indicates that the browser is not sending the server name with the initial https request, leading me to believe that SNI is not supported. Maybe there is a setting somewhere that I don't have correct???? I would appreciate anyone's insight on this as it has been frustrating trying to get this working. Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones