Does anybody else use Droid as an ipod/zune?

Last Updated:

1. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I recently sold my zune hd since my Droid plays music too. Granted, its not as flashy as the HD, but Im sure there are apps that can change that. The only thing im missing is podcasts, but im sure there is an app for that too. My only regret now is that with all this multifunctioning (internet, email, music, calling, messaging, etc.) my battery will need to be constantly recharged.

Advertisement
  2. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm basically hoping to do the same thing. I have an 8gb zune that I want to give to my mother as soon as there is a good podcasting\syncing alternative that will work with the droid. If I could come home and throw the zune into the charging dock and it would automatically sync everything I wanted it would be perfect.

3. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

I love the Droid for music and podcasts. I even use iTunes to download all my podcasts and then sync them to the Droid. I play about 4 hours of podcasts a day and get more time from my Droid than I ever did with my iPhone. I find I am using data much more than I did with the iPhone. LOVE MY DROID...very excited to see what comes down the road next year.

4. brandoshido

maybe i can find a zhd skin for my music player or somehting. Many reviews knocked the music player UI, but it does its job, not to mention the sound quality is good.

5. MSU

MSU Well-Known Member

I use my droid for music all the time at work and in the car. But I don't do podcast. I just use the likes of pandora, etc. and what I have on my card.
    I still have my stock radio in my card so I got a fm tuner which will charge my droid also and it work pretty well so I can still have my tunes in the car.

6. Phone Guy

Phone Guy Well-Known Member

I just drag my podcast from itunes to the Droid and i use Pandora mostly for music. The Droid is really nice!

7. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I have a Zune HD but use it for the HD radio so it won't be replaced by my Droid. But that did replace the iPod Touch ;)

8. ufmedrudy

ufmedrudy Active Member

I put all my podcasts feeds into google reader...hit up reader.google.com and then click and hold on the link and select download to my SD card....I guess you could also just cick the link and stream it as well...works great!

9. brandoshido

never thought about those podcast alternatives. I just subscribed to their youtube channels. Same videos, no need for another app either.

10. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

there is a podcast app out there. i wanna use it

11. vagabond251

vagabond251 Member

I definitely thought about using it to replace my Zune. But I don't know how much listening to MP3's kills the battery life. Also the Motorola media manager is pretty awful at helping you sync and organize your music on the player. I suppose I could only put a few albums on from my library but I might stick with the Zune for now...I have yet to give Pandora a try though I do have the app installed and it makes me quite excited...

12. Breakmyfootoff

Breakmyfootoff Active Member

I gave my ipod touch to my 7 year old after I got the Droid, it does everything I need it to in ONE device finally.

13. mdcjr

mdcjr New Member

Yah i just gave my gf my 1st gen ipod touch yesterday. The droid suffices as a decent mp3 player.

14. brandoshido

Does anybody experience major battery drain from constant music playing?

15. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

google listen handles podcasts well.

and actually, all my music-playing devices have different uses:

1) 30 GB Zune. Sits in my car 24/7, plugged into the USB port. On-demand music so I don't need CDs.
    2) Droid. For Pandora, mostly. Custom stations playing only what I like so I don't need radio. BT headphones or BT to car.
    3) iPod Shuffle. Clipped to a pair of sport headphones (google "shufflephones" then imagine something more streamlined and less bulky/ugly) for misc. situations, like when I don't want to carry my phone around with me.

16. brandoshido

Wow. That's a lot of devices to handle, iused to do that.

17. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

I use my Droid as a Droid music player lol
    and i still want to buy a Zune HD.
    I have a Zune30 but it is dead and needs to be fixed, so for the past year or so I have been using my PSP as my main mp3 player.
    Now I use my droid because it has more space :)
    (although the psp sounds better than the droid, but nothing compared to the sound of the zune30)

18. Skywaterbanjo

Skywaterbanjo Member

I'm using mine for music now but might go back to the iPod. I really wish the Droid had and EQ function.

19. efdisaster

efdisaster Well-Known Member

I'm trying to, in my car (plugged in), for now... though, I ride the trains a lot in the summer and will need it to be reliable and not kill my battery.

What I miss from my iPod, so far:
    Sound Check - decent volume normalizer that simply changes the playback volume, doesn't try to compress or anything. Essential for shuffle.
    Shuffle Albums - Sometimes I like to reconnect with my albums and the ipod had that option, when shuffling.

What I haven't tried yet, but don't have high hopes for:
    Bookmarkable/Audiobook playback - being able to play an audiobook file and pick it up later, even if I've played music, and have it start where I left off.

Is there a better audio app that might offer these features?

20. sublimnl

sublimnl Well-Known Member

For those of you looking for podcasts look no further than google listen. it is great. built in search, resume, rss support and pretty good ui for use in the car dock. it also auto downloads over 3g or wifi (your choice) and adds the newly downloaded casts to your listen queue.

now, who knows of a good music player?

21. JAGI410

JAGI410 Member

I sold my 16GB ipod touch and use the Droid exclusively as my work/home ipod/portable entertainment replacement. I bought an old beat up 60gb ipod to serve as a "jukebox" for the car.

22. philk

philk Member

i haven't used my Ipod since nov 6th pandora works soooo much better on the droid than it did on my storm... the storm locked up all the time

23. mobile1

mobile1 Well-Known Member

No, you will have to pry my iPod touch from my cold dead hands before I give it up. (I have two. 16 GB 2nd Gen and 32 GB 3rd Gen.) I do support them at work so I cannot just do without one not that I would want to.

24. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Until I can cheaply fit 80gb into my droid my iPod still has use. I actually need a bigger one. But since having a phone with a 3.5mm jack even my shuffle is seeing a lot less use.

25. djmeslie

djmeslie Member

I use the droid as my MP3 player at work also as i dont want to carry everything with me, but i will say it needs an EQ or something. I use the same headphones that my Zune came with, and although it sounds more then good enough for my ears I dont think its near the same quality as my zune, and i have the first gen 30gb zune. LOVE MY DROID though!!