• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anybody have one?

t35rk

Jun 11, 2010
My wife is eligible for an early upgrade and I am drawn to this device to replace her original droid. I've been impressed with it the few times I've played with it in the store. The absence of a flash is a bummer as is the absence of a notification light (I think it's missing, not positive).

The times that I've used speed test with it have been dissapointing. It takes forever for the device to locate the nearest server. Much longer than the Commando that was next to it.

Would like some feedback on call quality and reception. My wife works far inside a building and for her 3g doesn't cut it.

I played around with one for a day and sent it back, its a really good phone but the lack of memory to install apps is really an issue for me. I know they were trying to make it inexpensive but would 1 GB of storage for apps really been that expensive. the 200 or so MB of space will do ok for a little while but its still a major downfall of the phone.

Things I liked:
-The Pantech UI was nice and useful.
-Phone was pretty fast moving around through stuff.
-LTE was zippy.
-Build quality was really good and it felt sturdy.
-Screen looked nice, good color.
-LOUD earpiece

What I didn't:
-LTE reception could be better.
-Sometimes it would stay on 3g when there was a good LTE signal.
-App Memory.
-Power button on site.
-The stupid nuance app.
-Camera is just meh, no good pictures will come out of the thing.

Upvote 0
My wife has the Breakout. She has nothing but problems with it. Sometimes when tapping on the Phone icon, nothing happens. I had to teach her, a former dumbphone user, how to force stop the Dialer app to get it to work again. Sometimes, when she tries to wake the phone, she can see something on the screen, but the backlight won't kick on unless she powers off the phone and on again. And sometimes, the phone would ring, but the screen to accept or decline the call never comes up. Instead, the phone would appear to ring in the background while looking at the homescreen, as if to say, "What ring? Oh that ring? Yeah, it's playing. I dunno why."

Her phone does not hold a candle compared to the awesomeness of my Thunderbolt, and sometimes wishes she could have my phone.

Upvote 0
Great phone for me. I had a Samsung Charge for a few days & swapped to this. Charge was a $200 upgrade at Best Buy & this Breakout (BO) was just $30 at BB. Costco was $50. I really like the phone so far. The Charge had an older processor & less RAM, but a beautiful display. The BO has a very nice display. I am very impressed for $30. It comes with a 8GB SD card.
Cheers - Bob

Upvote 0
I have one, and so far, am happy with it. I got this to replace my BB Storm. I would have kept the Storm, but lack of flash was the deciding factor for me. With my prepaid plan on the BB, a contract monthly payment is actually about $5 cheaper on the Breakout. It's fast, the 4g works well, I like the customizability (is that a word?). Yes, it would be nice to have more internal memory, but every app I put on the phone can be slid over to the SD card, so it's not a biggy.

My BB was better in a couple ways, but way inferior in others. I can't get a flashlight app for the BO, due to having no flash led. Low light photography will suffer as well, but I have a digital camera if I want to make great pictures. My smartphone is so that I don't have to carry a laptop with me. For me, it's great...especially since it only costs $.01 with free shipping from Amazon. The deciding factor between this phone and the Bionic or Droid 2 was the cost. Basicly free vs $150+

Upvote 0
...my Thunderbolt..

I'm with you there. I got this Breakout for my wife after her chocolate touch died.. I have a rooted thunderbolt and they don't really compare. But the priced didn't compare, either. At first she had an issue where pics wouldn't send via SMS when she was connected via wifi. We left it on mobile data only for like a week and when I finnaly went to bring it back and exchange it it started working just fine. Weird. Other than that the only real issue we've had is internal storage space. After moving everything possible to the SD card she was still getting low storage warnings even though she had very few apps installed. Had to cut the number of pics and texts that autodelete allowed in each conversation in half and she hasn't really had problems since. She runs at around 67% of available memory in use. The Vzw bloatware is a real bummer on this phone. It'll be nice when we get a root method, not that I've really looked for one.

Biggest problem we have with it though is the shutter lag. It's rediculous. I've got two toddlers and it's next to impossible to get a clear pic, not that it's all that easy on any phone, but.

Edit: here I am 3 hours later and think I may have found a partial solution to the shutter lag problem.. there's a free app called ActionSnap in the market that takes pics in rapid succession but it has a setting for "one fast photo" that takes a the pic nearly instantly.. kids are all asleep right now but I'll report back tomorrow with results of taking pics of them. Only problem I have with it so far is that you seem to loose the use of the dedicated hardware button, but that's a tradeoff I can live with.

Upvote 0
My wife just got the breakout last week. It was basically be free after we send in our rebate from Verizon. So far, she hasn't had any problems with it. It's a good "entry-level" smartphone with 4G in my opinion. My only complaints so far are low internal memory and no flash. As normal, bloatware is annoying, but SuperOneClick worked (after many attempts) and I was able to flash an all-in-one recovery. I'm just hoping some developers give the Breakout some love and develop a custom ROM.

Upvote 0
My wife just got the breakout last week. It was basically be free after we send in our rebate from Verizon. So far, she hasn't had any problems with it. It's a good "entry-level" smartphone with 4G in my opinion. My only complaints so far are low internal memory and no flash. As normal, bloatware is annoying, but SuperOneClick worked (after many attempts) and I was able to flash an all-in-one recovery. I'm just hoping some developers give the Breakout some love and develop a custom ROM.

A Custom Rom would be nice eh? At least we were able to get rid of all that Bloatware crap and open the memory up a bit..

Only complaint I have with mine is, when it is plugged in to charge, the touchscreen acts weird. Opens the wrong things, or freezes, etc, but when I unplug it, it works fine..

Upvote 0
A Custom Rom would be nice eh? At least we were able to get rid of all that Bloatware crap and open the memory up a bit..

Only complaint I have with mine is, when it is plugged in to charge, the touchscreen acts weird. Opens the wrong things, or freezes, etc, but when I unplug it, it works fine..

I've had the Breakout for 3 months now, i finally rooted it with Superoneclick, deleted all the bloat, installed juice defender. it rocks. for the price it cant be beat, yeah it has some short falls. small internal memory, (delete the bloat helped) the voice command side button is a pain, and no flash, but hey. its fast and works perfect for me no issues!

Upvote 0
Compared the the Optimus M and Ascend2 that I had previously. The breakout is way better. Though I have a problem with mine...

I need the boot.img and system.img from either a rooted breakout that is in working condition, or an unrooted one with just the custom recovery. I somehow screwed up some file somewhere and it now just boot loops. I created 2 threads in the "All things Root" area but I haven't gotten any responses from them yet.

Also, if anyone has any experience with creating kernels... Ext4 & Swap support would be super appreciated.

Upvote 0
I've had the Breakout for 3 months now, i finally rooted it with Superoneclick, deleted all the bloat, installed juice defender. it rocks. for the price it cant be beat, yeah it has some short falls. small internal memory, (delete the bloat helped) the voice command side button is a pain, and no flash, but hey. its fast and works perfect for me no issues!

Still loving mine too! Sure, it has its faults, but it was FREE! Root access made a ton of difference.

Compared the the Optimus M and Ascend2 that I had previously. The breakout is way better. Though I have a problem with mine...

I need the boot.img and system.img from either a rooted breakout that is in working condition, or an unrooted one with just the custom recovery. I somehow screwed up some file somewhere and it now just boot loops. I created 2 threads in the "All things Root" area but I haven't gotten any responses from them yet.

Also, if anyone has any experience with creating kernels... Ext4 & Swap support would be super appreciated.
Check your PMs..

Reactions: amanda089
Upvote 0
Still loving mine too! Sure, it has its faults, but it was FREE! Root access made a ton of difference.

Check your PMs..

Thank you so much. Once I bake it again in the kitchen and move the apps I like out of system/app. I'm most definitely going to post it.

Added: Bash, Nano, current Busybox, Fixing toolbox links, added init.d support, and forgot what else I've done to it so far. Anreboot & Root Explorer are staying in System/App.

If anyone has any heavy duty system utilities for android, I would be happy to consider adding them before posting the update.zip

I don't know if there have been any OTA updates for the Breakout recently (past 2-3 months) since I haven't been able to keep my verizon service. But I did get the files I needed to unbrick my phone and have since cooked them.

+Root
+Go SMS
+Go Launcher
+Root Explorer
+AnReboot
and others

Tweaked low memory killer
All files deodexed and zipaligned
and all the other options in the dsixda-Android-Kitchen.

Code:
[URL]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23125206/ADR8995_signed.zip[/URL]
If you have any problems with libraries:
[URL]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23125206/InstallLibs_012412_160757.zip[/URL]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones