• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

does anyone drive and surf the web???

Status
Not open for further replies.
0 wrecks, chief. And no, not all accidents are avoidable by one driver alone. Tell that to the person behind you that just slammed into you at 40mph because he was texting and driving. But you had cars in front of you and to the side of you and had to come to a quick stop due to traffic. Meanwhile, the guy texting and driving slams into you. Yep, that was really avoidable.

Must not be much traffic where you live eh? You probably wouldn't even be able to change lanes in chicago traffic haha.

Quit defending your wrongful actions. They are wrong, you lose, pal.

Oh, and I can change cd's without pulling my attention from the road for 2-3 seconds. Those who can't, shouldn't.

So 0 wrecks and 0 tickets vs.....

And actually, 18 yr old drivers(when not showing off, that is, and started learning when 15) have been shown to be better drivers than 30+ year olds. You know, better overall vision, reflex, hearing, and alertness. Now its when they engage in DISTRACTING BEHAVIOR that makes them bad drivers. Why wouldn't it apply more-so to older people with less speed, sight, and hearing? Oh wait, it does.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
I don't do any other activity when I'm driving, like texting, phoning, or whatever. I've got friends who decide to eat and drink, while texting a bit, then have a good look at their ipod while doing 70 on the motorway. It's their choice, and if they crash doing so then I have no sympathy.

I don't do those things because I don't like to be distracted in that way when driving. I've never tried to text/call/eat when driving, if I did I could probably pull it off, but I'd rather concentrate on driving.

You say you've never crashed etc, I bet if you did and killed an innocent person because you were texting, you'd feel differently.

I'm 20, by the way. In England you can get a provisional license at 17.

Upvote 0
I don't do any other activity when I'm driving, like texting, phoning, or whatever. I've got friends who decide to eat and drink, while texting a bit, then have a good look at their ipod while doing 70 on the motorway. It's their choice, and if they crash doing so then I have no sympathy.

I don't do those things because I don't like to be distracted in that way when driving. I've never tried to text/call/eat when driving, if I did I could probably pull it off, but I'd rather concentrate on driving.

You say you've never crashed etc, I bet if you did and killed an innocent person because you were texting, you'd feel differently.

I'm 20, by the way. In England you can get a provisional license at 17.

I'm guilty of talking on the phone while driving, but that's with a bt headset, so no different than someone being next to me. I don't dial out unless stopped or an emergency.

Upvote 0
I drive about 75000-110000 miles a year and I am guilty of browsing the web on a daily basis when going down the highway. I have been driving for 11 years(5 of which i have been doing 75k+/ 3 75k+ with a smart phone surfing the web) with 0 tickets and 0 accidents. I never text or surf the web when I am in town or anywhere there is an increase in other vehicles(road construction, on ramps, etc.) and honestly don't see a problem with doing these as long as you're a competent enough driver .

Upvote 0
There are many distractions inside a car already--let alone add surfing the web and a bunch of other stuff. But it's also difficult to say what some people are *able* to do. For example, I *physically* cannot surf the web, read a couple of sentences or someone's text while driving--I've tried it and I start to veer off the road. Enough! I'm obviously one of the ones that is not able to do that. However, my x-wife drove better than I, applied make-up, used the phone all while yelling at a teen ager who was just as distracted--she never got a ticket or swerved her car--she had mad skills. Yes, surfing the web is distracting *to me*.

One more thing. If you drive and get distracted by anything inside your car, keep in mind that it's not necessarily your driving that is in question, you have to be aware of other idiots who are doing it and --like me-- cannot.

Upvote 0
I drive about 75000-110000 miles a year and I am guilty of browsing the web on a daily basis when going down the highway. I have been driving for 11 years(5 of which i have been doing 75k+/ 3 75k+ with a smart phone surfing the web) with 0 tickets and 0 accidents. I never text or surf the web when I am in town or anywhere there is an increase in other vehicles(road construction, on ramps, etc.) and honestly don't see a problem with doing these as long as you're a competent enough driver .

Not bad! (Mileage) yeah in the cab believe it or not I racked up almost 200k miles in a year.... that's a lot! Not to mention before all this I drove for a flower delivery service.. don't know the mileage on that...

And before that in my teens I drove to and from knoxville, tn at least twice a month(before gas was so high =( and I still got 30mpg to boot. Only $25 each way)

And professional driving generally gives you a better feel for the road, etc. And yeah people can multitask, but that doesn't change the fact that its unethical when other people's lives are at stake.

Upvote 0
Not bad! (Mileage) yeah in the cab believe it or not I racked up almost 200k miles in a year.... that's a lot! Not to mention before all this I drove for a flower delivery service.. don't know the mileage on that...

And before that in my teens I drove to and from knoxville, tn at least twice a month(before gas was so high =( and I still got 30mpg to boot. Only $25 each way)

And professional driving generally gives you a better feel for the road, etc. And yeah people can multitask, but that doesn't change the fact that its unethical when other people's lives are at stake.

Yea, My mileage varies but it's mostly down I-70 in western kansas so not much traffic. I do agree that when in town or around heavier traffic a phone should be the last thing you pay attention to.

200k in a cab?!?! damn.....i figured that would be more down time in grid-lock or 15-20blocks at a time and if that's the case that is some serious time clocked.

Upvote 0
this ignorant attitude doesnt surprise me at all. if you think you can surf the web and drive your are just plain wrong. PERIOD i just hope your stupidity doesnt kill someone else when you get in a wreck. you may have gotten lucky so far but to me you sound like some teenager who thinks he is the worlds best driver and can do anything while driving. i hope a cop hammers you when you do get in a wreck

Upvote 0
Not bad! (Mileage) yeah in the cab believe it or not I racked up almost 200k miles in a year.... that's a lot! Not to mention before all this I drove

Yea, My mileage varies but it's mostly down I-70 in western kansas so not much traffic. I do agree that when in town or around heavier traffic a phone should be the last thing you pay attention to.

200k in a cab?!?! damn.....i figured that would be more down time in grid-lock or 15-20blocks at a time and if that's the case that is some serious time clocked.

Well I ran 12-16 hour days 4-6 days a week, more during summertime. You'd be surprised how many people take cabs on 100+ mile journies... I had one guy who had me take him barhopping all night.... 4 nights in a row...he was deploying to iraq. His cab tab ran $600 a night, and he always tipped a c-note on top of it. Man I loved him.

Man do I have stories galore... and the shock on people's faces when they got in my cab and I was white, spoke english, and the cab didn't smell like fermented curry.

Upvote 0
No more dangerous than people applying makeup, reading books and newspapers, etc etc...I do not do it, because I cannot afford the insurance increase if I got into an accident, in Mississippi it is only illegal to text and drive if you are 16 and under, no other texting laws or phone laws in this state, thank God, we live in a free state compared to some nazi states...

Upvote 0
No more dangerous than people applying makeup, reading books and newspapers, etc etc...I do not do it, because I cannot afford the insurance increase if I got into an accident, in Mississippi it is only illegal to text and drive if you are 16 and under, no other texting laws or phone laws in this state, thank God, we live in a free state compared to some nazi states...

Yeah, those are all ******ed too. In fact, I gave a guy in an old pickup a nice little scare the other day for reading a book and driving. *brake check* HONK! HONK!

Then I yelled at him like he was a 5 yrold. Felt great.

Upvote 0
I've been in 3 accidents. 2 of them, I got rear ended at a stop, so I really could do nothing about it. The other was technically my fault. There were wet leaves, and I was going a little too fast downhill so I hit the brakes and my wheels locked up and I hit the guy in front of me. Bent his rear bumper on his van pretty good, but no damage to my car, interestingly. Wasn't because I was distracted though. Me being slightly reckless and going slightly too fast, and my car not having ABS, led up to it.

If I had distracted, I would have probably hit it at the full 30 mph, totaling my car. Because I had been able to see what was happening, I only hit him at 10.

Upvote 0
Thats the problem with society now a days, especially the young ones. They think they can do or get away with anything without having any consequence for their actions.
Texting, calling and surfing the web and driving is so wrong.

Therefore i am closing this thread, its wrong and there is no need to make it look like its okay or encourage anyone into thinking its okay.

TS out

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones