1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Does anyone else think the Android YouTube app sucks?General

1. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member

At first I thought it looked decent since the interface was clean and the HQ videos looked good.

But now the more and more I use it I realize how much it sucks.

To start, you can't do ANYTHING while watching a current video without it stopping. So if you want to comment on the video, read it's info, or put your phone on sleep, the video stops playing.

Because of this it makes YouTube useless for music. YouTube is one of the best music sites out there (since almost any song is uploaded in video form), but because you can't put the phone on sleep or do something else while it's playing it's unusable. Why would I stare at an image on my screen at full brightness for 5 minutes while listening to a song? It's a battery killer and makes no sense.

Also the search feature is weaker. For some reason when I search stuff on YouTube.com I get much more results than I do on the mobile app.

Lastly, you can't tweak the settings to make HQ video as the default. The low-quality videos are awful and you have to go into settings each time to change it to HQ.

Advertisement
    :
    mseerob, djfred and amarryat like this.
  2. Skynx72

Skynx72 Member

3. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

On WIFI the default is HQ
  4. Locoman

Locoman Well-Known Member

Compared to what other phone that does better?
  5. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member

What does that matter? The Android one sucks and because I have an Android-powered device thats all I care about.
  6. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

I think it matters because of your assessment that the Android app 'sucks', which implies that the Android app is crappy compared to the Youtube app on other devices.

Personally, I think your assessment that you're using it for a purpose for other than what it was designed is a major portion of the problem. You state that you like to use it as a music player when the app's purpose is for video. There are plenty of music apps that would suit your needs better, ie... Slacker, Pandora, Tune-Wiki (especially good if you want videos with it), LastFM, GrooveShark, etc...

I'm kind of at a loss as to why you tout being able to get every song in video form, but the very next sentence you bemoan why anybody would stare at the screen. One would wonder why you're looking to get the music in video form yet not intending to watch the video.
  7. The youtube app DOES suck. They actually FILTER searches so you cant get official music videos. If you want to listen to a popular song you will never find it with the app other than crappy covers done by the general public. Sucks balls...
    RobCo likes this.
  8. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member

So I can open up the song and minimize the window and listen to it while I'm doing something else. They dont have mp3's on YouTube...is that really hard to understand?
    Ninjalectual likes this.
  9. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

The one linked above that has the HQ button is fine. How does it suck? It is a client app and not desk top level function. Seems fine to me and I am a picky SOB.

Far better music apps anyways- IMO :)
  10. ORDarksideD

ORDarksideD Active Member

What are you referring too? I use the stock android youtube app and I've never had anything "filtered". I've been able to find any official music video I want.
  11. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

Depends what your looking for, like you cant find anything posted by Vevo on any stock youtube mobile app. Does anyone know a way around this? And as for filtering, just search on mobile app and online for the same thing, and look at the number of results it will be significantly less on mobile. Dunno how the filter works.... But it surely filters quite a bit out, and its usually the things you want to see.. lol
    RobCo likes this.
  12. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

For some reason the shipped youtube app quality is not as good as the EVO 4g version. Even when HQ is not selected in settings you have better quality playback. I highly recommend installing the EVO version.
  13. ShortBusHEMI

ShortBusHEMI Well-Known Member

the youtube app doesn't show any videos not 'made for mobile'.. whatever that means.. but going to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. works just fine... flash, people, flash. we have it. use it.
  14. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

EVO version ruins the Widget. I uninstalled after a few days. Running the EVO version with the widget killed my battery
  15. sylent101

sylent101 Well-Known Member

Actually you can go into settings and set it to hq by default just hit the menu button and hit settings
  16. Reddog80p

Only in the EVO version you can.
  17. zeke88

zeke88 Well-Known Member

yea it suck. it could be so much better if the front page shows my YT account and my SUBs
  18. Reddog80p

My youtube widget works. Did you try and remove the widget then put it back on? I have not experienced any problems with the EVO app or widget.
  19. no official music videos on mobile it's a bummer :-( Lots of times i can't even find a "non-official" video with the song playing and maybe a slideshow going on or just the album cover in the background.
  20. HenryKrinkle

HenryKrinkle Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to post comments to the videos? I can read them but can't figure out how to post my own.
  21. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Need to change the thread title to "....Mobile YouTube app sucks". It's no better than the iPhone/iPod Touch in terms of what you're limited to from the search. But to echo a few comments already made: 1) You can't access the music videos through the mobile app, period. Doesn't matter if it's Android or iOS (iPhone). 2) Where Android, or rather HTC, wins is with having Flash Lite. If you want to access the full YouTube library and play anything, just navigate to the YouTube site through your browser. I've watched many official videos this way. With the iPhone/iPod Touch, you're s*** out of luck.
  22. palomosan

palomosan Well-Known Member

I've been using the EVO Youtube HQ app since it came out and it has been like butter.

Just make sure if you're using a task killer to added to the ignore list.
  23. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

OMFG wanna punch youtube app in the face!! RAERW@U$_(Q god damn its frustrating, it locks up my phone to where i need a battery pull, takes forever to load, unless sitting in one spot, doesn't work when im riding in the car.
  24. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

Yes but at least it works unlike the one on the Eris before it go 2.1.. in fact there was some guy talking about a class action law suit because he could not get on YouTube from the app :rolleyes:

so lets be grateful that our app even works and only filters out "official music videos" and not everything like the Eris :)
  25. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member

thanks for the EVO youtube app link. works great.

for those with widget problems, remove and re-add it.