Does anyone elses Radio stack / phone function stop working with I5?Support

Last Updated:

1. z0mbi3

z0mbi3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Had a few days of use without issues, go to make a call yesterday and it takes ages to connect, but instead of connecting I get a beep and then it returns me to my contact list. Tried putting the phone in and out of flight mode by holding down the power button and selecting the flight mode option, the option turns grey after I press it, won't allow me to press it again and seemingly does nothing. Press the off option and turn the phone back on and it's fine.

Now I reckon I had suffered this with earlier firmwares. It's not a huge issue just a bit annoying.

Anyone else had the same?

Still love this phone, just slowly but surely addressing the issues with it.

Advertisement
  2. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

Not in my case, I5 is working fine. Anyway, if you had the same problem with earlier firmware versions and I'm not, seems like the firmware is not the problem

3. z0mbi3

It could just as easily be a an issue that hasn't been addressed in the firmware yet though.

4. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

that's true, but not an exclusive I5 firmware issue then

5. integra891

integra891 Member

I have this exact same issue. It actually started with the H8 firmware for me. The main problem though is that sometimes, midcall, my radio dies out and I try calling again with the same result, taking forever to connect and finally endcall and back to contacts. That is annoying. Samsung needs to iron out all these bugs in their software, hoepfully with a 1.6 update.

6. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

I just noticed the audio cut out is still there (H8). I'm lazy to update to I5

7. z0mbi3

Integra - I've had the call cutting out thing, however I had just put it down to bad signal at the other end. Suspect its relates though. I don't know if idhadit before h8 or not.

Kam - its still there in i5.

8. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Its not bad signal, its an encoding problem in the baseband :(

9. z0mbi3

Presumably once we're a few firmware revisions down the line (that is to say when we're no longer getting a new one every week) we could pinch the radio stack/firmware from H7 and use that instead.

edit:

Hangon, couldn't we just do this now using odin anyway? Just transplant the ams file for H7 into the I5 rom and reflash?

On the one hand I'm tempted, but on the other hand it seems better to wait and see what the next update brings.

10. integra891

integra891 Member

ill try it, tonight and let you know how it goes. the worst case scenario is that i end up reflashing the I5, H8 or H7. we'll see.

11. integra891

integra891 Member

I just looked at the amss files and they are the exact same size, which leads me to assume that they are the same file. so maybe the issue is in some other part of the OS? i dont know much about how each component works amss, kernel, recovery, etc... I tried moving the amss file from H7 to the II5 tar and flash with Odin, that didnt work. it gave me a big fail.

12. z0mbi3

The guy over on the modaco forums who put together that custom h8 rom was concerned that the radio stack wasn't flashing over correctly and asked someone there to verify. Which leads me to think there must be a way of swapping them out.

13. pegasus21

pegasus21 Well-Known Member

The amss files might be the same size but the content is quite different across different versions. I checked IH8 vs II5. It probably has got to do with the size of the partition that the baseband firmware uses.

14. z0mbi3

How about flashing back to H7. Then back to I5 but this time excluding the AMS file? In theory that would leave the H7 ams file in there.

15. magullo

magullo New Member

I suffered this problem since my upgrade to H7, and didn't disappear with H8 and II5.
    I only bought my phone few days ago, so I sent it back to fix (or change).
    Annoying.

16. z0mbi3

In which case we'd have to look further back I suppose, H6 or the G8 roms I suppose.

That's assuming a future update doesn't address it.

17. pegasus21

pegasus21 Well-Known Member

You don't have to reflash everything just to change the baseband.

Just create a tar file consisting of amss and use that in odin. That way you should be able to downgrade your baseband easily and still retain your data and os.

Creating the tar file that odin accepts on windows might prove tricky though. If it doesn't accept, it'll give you the message about big partition. The tar creation from the phone works though so you can rely on the push and pull to get your amss onto and off the phone.

Linux's tar will work fine if you have a linux machine or a virtual machine.

18. z0mbi3

OK I'm really thinking about trying an earlier radio stack.

The problem is identifying which one is most likely to be problem free (if any). I don't think I had this problem with H6 but then I only used that for a few days. I suppose what I'm asking is did anyone use a particular firmware for a long period of time (say 2 weeks or longer?) without this issue, and if so what one was it?

19. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

i dont have this issue with i5 or h8

what i do have with i5 is that it will hangup the call after 5 mins and i have to redial it, this makes it impossible if ive been put on hold or anything

20. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Maybe the people you're calling are trying to tell you something? :D

21. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

hahahaha. i wish

22. vit

vit Member

I finally did update from H8 to I5 via Odin (one package, minus SCS file, ticked 'reboot'). It actually kept all my apps and settings including APN, Wifi networks, bluetooth devices etc. Really, was non-event for me.

23. z0mbi3

Depending on how the firmware you upgraded to was packaged, it may not have factory reset you when it actually would have had it been done via NPS and not Oden.

Basically to be on the safe side you should do a factory reset, as had it been done officially it would of done it for you.

24. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

You should do a factory reset, or you'll get intermitant crashes most likely.

Thats the anoying part about updating, you have to reinstall everything, and market is really crap at remembering your apps - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt.

Just remember the first time you open market (after wipe) go to my downloads and re-install everything there you want. If you close market it'll forget everything! So don't go to the home screen at any point untill everything you wanted is installed.

25. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

I've never done a factory reset or wiped anything (and to be honest, I wouldn't know how). Never had a problem. YMMV of course.