Does anyone have a handle on the "Google backup cloud" process?

Last Updated:

1. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Specifically related to when/how often the backup is sent from phone to google servers, and whether that data is accessible from somewhere other than the DROID. I'm curious as to how to plan restores if a install a jacked up app.

I've done a hard reset already, in an attempt to cure the 3g -> 1x issue, and was surprised the auto-restore re-installed my wallpaper without any type of user intervention. :)

Advertisement
  2. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

did your attempt fix the 3g / 1x problem?

3. colnago

I don't know. I did an www.antennasearch.com and found that there are 37 towers, and 247 antennae, which form an almost perfcect 4mi radius circle in my area. I'm 2 blocks from a Verizon CO, 3 miles from the Verizon store where I got the phone, and not much farther is I-95 in between Balt/DC. People should be able to here me now, in this area, per Verizon. :p

While sitting on top of my desk in my 2nd floor townhouse (work from home), my Droid will go from (4) bars 3G, to (2) bars of 1x, several times per day. Signal strength goes from -77dBm to -88dBm. My download speeds to Speedtest.net's DC server, 50mi away, is anywhere from ~400kb - ~600kb. If I move 20ft into my bedroom, wood frame townhouse, I get same 3G/1x signal results, but my DL speed will consistently be ~1.5Mb. Driving around my town, I will still get some switching, but it does seem a little more stable on 3G. I tried not using the phone today (hard "Boot-style" reset performed 2-3 days ago) as I was doing the camera flash flashlight test, but signal seems more stable on 3G...at least as far as I noticed. Call quality is back and forth, but mostly average at best...this coming from a VoIP engineer, first time on Verizon network, long time AT&T user with a Moto Q that didn't seem to lose bars at all up and down east coast. I admit that I can't find an active signal strength meter on my Q, so its all relative.

4. colnago

Bump.

5. androidforumsQuint

androidforumsQuint Active Member

When you restored, did the email settings get restored? How did you do the restore?

6. colnago

If you have Backup my settings enabled, backups happen during sync cycles. Following a flash, once you log into the phone, enter your G credentials, it starts the restore processin the background, automatically.

What I don't know is if the backup initiates when you make changes or during sync when gmail updates. Also, not sure what gets backed up to tape and when...never sure what your restore looks like. As far as mail, I didn't know the restore was happening and just re-entered POP3 info...not sure if restore would have done it had I just waited.

7. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

it doesnt