• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does anyone have any text editing tricks?

I have had the Droid X a week or so and love the big screen. The one thing that I prefer that the Incredible has is the optical ball - if I type in a long word in an email- I find it hard on the Droid X to move the cursor just a few letters, and end up having to backspace a lot of text. The Inc optical ball lets you move your cursor letter by letter without erasing. Anyone have any tips or apps for editing. I have tried the tap to get the magnifier, but it is still pretty hard to get it right on the right letter.

Add stuff you use a lot to the dictionary. If you are in an app where the keyboard function offers you suggestions, you can always just click anywhere on a word you misspelled and the suggestions for that word will come back, and you can see if the correct word is there.

I wish they would just add some arrows somewhere to the virtual keyboard. Slowly I am getting better but my next phone will definitely have some sort of track ball or pad.

Upvote 0
I did some searching and I found Ultra Keyboard for 2.99 in the marketplace. Odd that I don't mind spending $200 on a phone, and I am not sure about another $3, but I downloaded the trial version and played with it for a few minutes. There may be a better solution. but UltraKeyboard has a series of editing keys above the keyboard - one of them lets you move the cursor any way you want. I will probably download the trial version and give it a better try before I buy. I am still working on the magnifiier, but I keep getting the select text box, which brings editing to a halt.

Upvote 0
I did some searching and I found Ultra Keyboard for 2.99 in the marketplace. Odd that I don't mind spending $200 on a phone, and I am not sure about another $3, but I downloaded the trial version and played with it for a few minutes. There may be a better solution. but UltraKeyboard has a series of editing keys above the keyboard - one of them lets you move the cursor any way you want. I will probably download the trial version and give it a better try before I buy. I am still working on the magnifiier, but I keep getting the select text box, which brings editing to a halt.

One thing I have noticed about 3rd party keyboards is that the ones I have tried at least, don't have the little microphone button the stock keyboard has that lets you basically speak the text you want. I use this sometimes to send a quick text while driving. Does this keyboard still have that button?

Upvote 0
I also tried downloading the HTC keyboard - it has 4 cursor keys on the board it self and makes moving the cursor pretty easy. You get slightly smaller keys, but that may be a tradeoff I am willing to live with. Here is the keyboard. HTC_IME.apk

I downloaded to my pc, sent it to the downloads directory on the phone using the USB cable, unplugged the USB, used Astro to find and install the touch input, then went into setting keyboard and checked the box for touch input. Then when you are ready to type, select the touch input. In landscape it isn't perfect, there is some blank space to the side, but you can move the cursor very precisely.

Upvote 0
If you are using the Swype keyboard, you can swype from the
SwypeKey.png
key to the SYM key and get this navigation keyboard
Top+Android+App+Swype+Controls.png

and that allows you to move around the text field to make any corrections you need.

Upvote 0
The Droid X does have an way to edit text.

You will first need to tap the input field where you are typing, this will give you a red target looking thing. All you have to do next is press inside the red circles and it will bring up a magnified area where you can just drag your finger. It will show a cursor while you are dragging, just lift your finger when you get to the correction.

Here is a video of it, sorry about the blurry camera =/

YouTube - Droid X Text Editing

Upvote 0
The Droid X does have an way to edit text.

You will first need to tap the input field where you are typing, this will give you a red target looking thing. All you have to do next is press inside the red circles and it will bring up a magnified area where you can just drag your finger. It will show a cursor while you are dragging, just lift your finger when you get to the correction.

Here is a video of it, sorry about the blurry camera =/

YouTube - Droid X Text Editing

Perfect. Thanks!

Reactions: flippy1974
Upvote 0
One clarification that I just discovered on my Droid X: an initial tap-hold anywhere in a text field opens the edit menu; an initial tap-release on any text moves the cursor to that location and displays the red bullseye; a tap-hold on the red bullseye opens the cursor-placement balloon. So, a double-tap-hold on any text reliably opens the cursor-placement balloon.

Reactions: flippy1974
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones