Does anyone have good voice quality with Droid?

Last Updated:

1. livngston

livngston Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone actually have decent voice quality on their Motorola Droid? I am on my fourth DROID and so far every call I have made people have complained that I sound muffled. I know there are a slew of threads on this, especially on Motorola's forums, but no one has an answer. Some people say they do have good voice quality. I am wondering who does and if they can post recordings of their voice quality.

The Droid is an excellent device, however it should always first be a phone. It absolutely sux in that department, and I am seriously considering exchanging for an old fashioned flip within my 30 days from verizon. My RAZR and RAZR2 were far superior! Anyone else have this issue?

Advertisement
  2. greg72

greg72 Well-Known Member

Never had any complaints on my voice nor do I have complaints with the reception.

3. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

do you happen to have a low voice, or have the habit of wrapping your finger around the bottom of the phone?

and most people say that the phone works just fine.

4. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

Have you tried turning Voice Privacy Off? I have had no complaints. Maybe give that a try, or maybe go get another Droid, as i am sure that will fix it.

5. cimisman

cimisman Member

I think the voice quality is great.

6. livngston

No my voice is middle toned. I don't wrap my finger around the phone either. I have had other people try the phone, including my wife and everyone sounds muffled.

This happened on all four droids. People hear a definite difference in sound quality. They have a hard time understanding me on that phone and yet I can pick up my blackberry and call them and it sounds clear as a bell.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

When i get home, i will record both my droid and razr phones. My wife says my droid is the best sounding cell phone i have ever owned ... that is all i can go on.

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I have had no complaints at all. I make around 60 calls a day and receive just as many if not more (real estate agent) and no one has had trouble hearing me. I have only seen a few people with this problem so it isn't widespread, maybe 3-7% of Droid users are having it. Could be a bad batch off the production line for the microphone.

9. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

The DROID is also a PHONE :eek:

I should try that app one of these days ;)

10. gimmeanathlon

gimmeanathlon Well-Known Member

Best quality I've had in a phone. And I've had many! LOL Wife and I both have one.
    I've heard some folks have trouble in low reception areas or the privacy thing.
    I have the privacy thing on, and the phones sound great.

11. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

OP -
    Are you by any chance using google voice? cause no one on the other end can here me well when I talk to them via my google voice number so that might be it.

12. JohnDa

JohnDa Well-Known Member

Great quality. Best of any phone I've had.

13. livngston

What is the build of your DROID? There are so many people complaining I was wondering if there is a bad batch. I have gone through 2 DROIDS from 44/09 and 2 DROIDS from 48/09.

No I am not using Google Voice.

14. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I'm good with voice quality.

15. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

No problems with voice quality here.

16. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

The Consensus here is the Voice Quality is Good With The Droid, i am having a hard time believing it is a hardware problem after you have went through 4 phones.

17. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

Every once and a while I get some static or hiss during a call. It sounds like wind noise blowing in the background. Only happens on Verizon to Verizon cell calls. The voice of the other party is always way louder then this noise.

A Droid call to a real land line is always dead quiet and perfect. I'm wondering if it's a network issue in my area, any one else ever get that disturbance on a cell to cell call? Usually lowering the ear volume takes care of it, or makes it not as disruptive.

Nobody complains about muffling though, they can hear me just fine, and I can hear everyone just fine. If you talk very fast that might make you pop in and out if your in a crap cell reception area.

Anyway, That's the only thing I've noticed.

Overall, calls sound loud and clear in both directions. Questionable with cell to cell.

-droidosis-

18. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

Here's a page I whipped up with all different vocodes and an iPhone sample for comparison.

Hope this helps some people. pay it forward...

Droid Sound Quality : elementel.net

19. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

lol

I've had no issues w/ voice quality. It's by and far the best phone I've owned in that category. Well, just about every category, really. There's been some posts about this in the past, however. Maybe do a search to see what fixes others have come to find, if any. Best of luck!

20. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

So you've recorded and listened to yourself on your droid? I just did that in the post above. If you have a recording of your quality share it and I'll throw it up on my page!

21. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

try turning off voice privacy. i just did, called my dad and asked if he could hear a difference and he replied YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Working fine here, and the other Droids I call all have worked well.

23. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Great voice on my end and the other - even through my Jawbone I.
    Maybe your hardware or network location.
    Nick

24. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

That was key for me also. Once I did that, it didn't sound like callers were underwater anymore. I'm trying to remember if I had that feature enabled on my Blackberry (recently filed in the trash can after quickly improving success with the Droid over the past two weeks). I also did the Vocode adjustment to EVRC-B that's been mentioned on the forums. Don't know if it's made that much of a difference since the privacy adjustment was HUGE but the new vocode has also worked fine since I changed it.

25. smoke14fan

smoke14fan New Member

I just came from Verizon theyremoved Lookout and my sound is back to all good.they said 3rd party anti viruse soft ware are causing issues.Worked for me