Does anyone have the 2.1 NEW Sense ROM on their Hero?

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

***Im talking about the 2.1 Sense with the pinch-zoom in the homescreen.

From the xda, perhaps? If so, could you record a video on it and show us?

Or, are there any videos of the HTC Hero running the 2.1 NEW Sense? (excluding sidewise filmed initial video demonstrating the homescreen pinch-zoom, I think everyone's seen that one). I have already seen the two videos of the Eris running it as well...

I am really curious on how the performance is on the Hero with the New Sense, and more so, how the Music app and the Browser is (wonna see if the pinch-zoom in browser is smoother than original Sense).

Advertisement
  2. Shawn_Diggidy

Shawn_Diggidy Member

I messed around with it a little bit today and everything was much more streamlined and polished than my current Fresh 1.1 ROM. The browser in particular was much faster and "smoother" than the current one. However I was unable to login to my Google account so I ended up restoring back to Fresh to get some work done. Now I'm waiting for my Hero to charge back up so I can play around some more. :D

:edit: I was getting some force close issues using the stock music widget, but the application itself was working fine. I didn't get a chance to try out Meridian before I did the Nandroid restore.

3. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

did I miss one? Or is this the one from Flipz that's been up since new years?

4. Shawn_Diggidy

Shawn_Diggidy Member

The thread on xda was started Dec 1, 2009 but I just got around to fiddling with it today.

5. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

6. Shawn_Diggidy

Shawn_Diggidy Member

7. dvdqnoc

Is this the NEW Sense, with pinch-to-zoom on the home screen? Or is it the Espresso based 2.1 ROM?

8. tatonka_Hero

Espresso based, with a custom kernel I believe.

NO one has the new sense...that I know of

9. dvdqnoc

Oh... I was just asking since I know there are Desire ROMs for Nexus One out there.

And I've been watching videos of it on the Nexus on YouTube, but I wanted a more accurate depiction of the New Sense's performance with the Hero's processor.

10. tatonka_Hero

It'll work just fine I'm sure. 2.1 will be more optimized to run on a CDMA network for one thing, rather than hacked to pieces like 1.5 is, so that will help a bit.

And if it doesn't, I'm extremely confident that the devs will have a custom ROM out including the new sense in under a day the minute 2.1 comes out (assuming 2.1 comes with the new sense).

11. dvdqnoc

Hmm, I wonder how they were able to get the Desire ROM so quickly and not the Legend ROM? If I'm not mistaken, Legend has the same screen size as the Hero... could it be because of the internal hardware differences (i.e. chipset)?

12. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

I have a slightly newer version of this ROM than the one publicly posted. Flipz is allowing donators to try out a v1.9 ROM a few days before he posts it up at XDA. First of all, this *not* a 2.1 Flan ROM. He explains that they thought at first that they were working on a leaked 2.1, but their research and dev work has revealed it to actually be 2.0.1 Eclair. So I flashed that and ToAsTcfh kernel to my phone to check them out. Other than the green espresso theme, Sense looks and behaves pretty much the same. It does do the multitouch 7 page view, which is very cool. It has some bugs to be worked out, ie the HTC photo frame widget doesn't work, and I couldn't get the clear widget themes to work. The camera still doesn't work. I never see the GPS icon on the bar, though GPS appears to work. You can download the new Google Maps 4.0 from the market, but I couldn't get it to do multitouch. Performance-wise, at least in my experience, it is noticeably slower than Fresh, and I've gone back to Fresh for the time being, but it's getting there. IMO, these guys are doing a great job.

13. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

with all the stuff not working.. I'm just going to wait til they get an official 2.1 to mod and then flash that..

14. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Might be worthwhile to flash it, sync, do a quick set up of the pages, and run a Nandroid. Then you have something to flash back to and play with for awhile. That way you can swap between it and Fresh whenever you want without having to wipe and resync each time.

15. mroien

mroien Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this ROM has a2sd working right away or do you have to start it from busybox? Or do you know how to install a2sd on it? Thanks

16. swaze

swaze Well-Known Member

Flipz rom has it working, all you have to do is have your SD card partitioned correctly, so if you had it working before then it will work on this ROM.

17. mroien

mroien Well-Known Member

Yeah I tried that ROM and really want the sense UI to work. I get a ton of Force Closes when I use it. After a reset.

18. tatonka_Hero

I feel like the battery life is pretty crappy on Flipz' newest release...but it might have been just the amount I ended up using it, trying to flash everything and load all the apps and that good stuff...I'll find out tomorrow.

19. TheBiles

20. tatonka_Hero

21. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

22. tatonka_Hero

are you flashing it right? In other words, did you wipe first?

1.) Boot in to recovery and create a nandroid backup
    2.) Use the menu item "Wipe data/factory reset" (yes, a restore is required)
    3.) Apply it like a normal update.zip -- be patient. The first boot will take a while.
    4.) After it finishes booting for the first time, restart it at least once!

SamXp likes this.
  23. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

Didn't realize I needed to do step 2! Trying it now.

24. TheBiles

It is always a good idea to wipe before installing a completely different ROM. Titanium Backup makes it a cinch to restore all of your apps with their settings and Market info, too.

25. tatonka_Hero

right, always wipe. At least when switching versions of Android.

TheBiles is right about Titanium backup, but Astro file manager works as well. I used to use titanium, but found it a little less user friendly than Astro. Personal preference I suppose.