1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Does anyone know of an audible ebook reader?

1. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

One of the features I read about was the the newer android phones having text to voice capability, enabling things like ebook being read out loud. I haven't seen any ebook readers on the market with this capability. Have I missed something?

Advertisement
    :
  2. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

3. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Someone elsewhere recommended moonreader plus, and its excellent!
  4. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

I've never seen TTS in the settings for that. Is it just in the paid version, or am I missing something?
  5. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Hmm.. not sure. Its under "more options" in the setting menu at the top.
    You can also install the classic free svox text to speech engine, and the paid far superior american english or uk english voices, so the read back sounds better. My wife last night said it sounded better than audio books she'd listened to.

(I prefer the USenglish female voice ("Grace" I think) It sounds most natural to me, but reading science fiction or fantasy back with unique made up words will always be problematic.)

I played some of edgar rice burroughs "A Princess of Mars" and some of the barsoomian nomenclature sounded off.
  6. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Thanks, it seems to be missing from the free version.
  7. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Yep, it is only in the Pro version. It seems to work real well. Definitely do as the earlier post advised and load a different voice. The stock voice sounds like a robot.