Does anyone NOT like physical keyboards?

Last Updated:

1. redraptor

redraptor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im just curious about this. Ive been around the Incredible forums a lot and hear sometimes about the newer VZN keyboard smartphone coming out in the future. I was pretty stoked about this new big HTC phone but realized it had a keyboard and I immediately got turned off. I dunno about you guys but I NEVER got into the physical keyboards and really prefer the touch version 10 fold.

Advertisement
  2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I prefer the slimness of a phone, and that means no physical keyboard. I've gotten use to the virtual keyboard, swype and shapewriters make it much easier to compose and type on the phone.

3. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

With earlier non touch phones or resistive touch screen phones, physical keyboards made lot of sense, bulkiness was a worthwhile compromise for typing speed and convenience. But with newer larger more responsive capacitive screens, I hardly see the need for a physical keyboard. Especially with technologies like Swype. Right now lightness and thinness values more than a hardware keyboard, but if someone makes a phone with a physical KB without adding extra bulk, then I would definitely go for that. Because whatever said, for me personally a virtual keyboard can never give the real tactile feeling of a physical KB.

4. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

I prefer to use my smartphones in portrait mode, which makes using a physical keyboard a little more difficult :)

I use Swype, and I hope to never have to use a virtual keyboard without Swype or something like it.

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Having used a Blackberry Curve (with its trackball) for 6 months a couple of years ago, I knew a trackball wasn't for me, but I was leery of a touchscreen-only device. If it weren't for the Droid having a physical keyboard, I would have never bough it. That said, I've probably used the Droids physical keyboard less than a dozen times.

However, I just bought an LG Ally for my son, and if it were my phone I could see me using the physical keyboard on a sem-regular basis.

6. GeorgeinLA

GeorgeinLA Well-Known Member

I held off on buying an real smartphone until I could find one that wasn't Blackberry and had a nice physical keyboard and good MS exchange integration. I type a lot, and I'm still nowhere near as fast or comfortable on a touchscreen keyboard as I am on a real one. I use my Droid 2 keyboard probably 20 times a day, and I love it!

7. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

I absolutely *LOVED* my e71x keyboard..

the physical keyboard on the impression I owned was ok..

If there is a physical keyboard I admit I will use it more..

However, I would not want a smartphone with a slider keyboard..

I don't mind regular keyboards.. but, sliders just seem like something else that will break.. I also must admit.. it seems like more of a "feature phone" option than a "smart phone" option..

Not saying i'm dead against them.. but, I would be more likely to get a qmd with a keyboard.. less likely to get a smartphone with one..

8. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member

I used to insist on having a physical keyboard until I got the Fascinate. It's only been two days and I already love using swipe!

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah Im almost the same way. After 4 days of ownership I know Im still faster on a physical qwerty but Im improving all the time at swype. Then again with STT Im getting half the practice I could be

10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

It was nice getting away from years of using a physical keyboard on various Blackberries.

Unless they can come up with one that does not fatten the device much at all, and that is as responsive for me as the screen keyboard (especially in landscape, being as how my fingers and hands are as big as a baseball mitt :D), I'm not looking back.

11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Yes, there are people that don't like physical keyboards. It's like anything else in life where there are those that like them and those that don't...

Personally, I can't stand poorly implemented physical keyboards. YMMV, of course.

12. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

I got the Slide specifically for the physical keyboard. Once I got used to the pre-installed Swype I haven't used it at all though, it's just adding bulk to the phone...

13. mikeymop

mikeymop Well-Known Member

I dont like the keyboards because they add more mechanical parts to the phone and make it feel flimsier, in most cases. I also dont like the added bulk, though the Droid did it in a very slim profile what turned me off about the Droid was the fact that it had some wobble to it.

The Droid 2 I liked and concidered trading in my Dinc for it.... until I realised it had Motoblur, I'd much rather have a Sense phone and HTC's phone looks much nicer then the Droid, the only thing I would change about my Dinc is put in an S-LCD and a better battery