1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Android Wear, like the Moto 360 while exercising?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. inkrededibles

inkrededibles Active Member This Topic's Starter

I do know that there is a heartrate monitor on the Moto 360, for example, though I'm not sure who actually uses it for regular exercise. Are you accumulating a fair amount of wear and tear? Does the size or shape somehow get in the way of your exercises, like bench pressing? I likely won't use my watch like that, but it irritates me to think that I need to buy a different fitness tracker when the watch seems to do that as well.

Advertisement
  2. 8Ball

8Ball Well-Known Member

I use my Sony Smartwatch 3 in the gym with Bluetooth headphones for music. There's no other software I use in the gym though. Out on a run I use Endomondo to track distance etc.

So far I've had no issues in the gym.

3. matthijs

matthijs Member

I use the moto360 with runtastic. So my exercise is running.
    It shows on the time / distance and pace on the 360. Very convenient.
    Please be sure to have the screen always on. It's a bit annoying to tap the screen while running..

4. smootskin

smootskin Active Member

When the screen go off it turens off the app as well?

5. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

I used my moto 360 with sportstracker while running.
    I have a chest strap (Zephyr HXM) heart rate monitor.
    So I didn't want to use the heart rate capabilities of the Moto 360, I just wanted to use it as a display of heart rate.

It seemed to jump oddly from my actual heart rate (130) down to 50 at the same time that my phone was reading the correct heart rate. I think maybe the moto 360 heart rate monitor got in the way. I switched my watch to display total time and left it there.

6. m0dK1ng

m0dK1ng Member

I'm strongly considering this but probably wouldn't use the HR monitor / other features that much so not sure I can justify the cost. Especially as I'm not a big watch guy anyway. May just get a Polar or Garmin and save my $?

7. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

The cheststrap b/t HRM is the crucial part of the setup. ( the wrist HRM built into a smart watch is for spot-checks vs continuous monitoring and is not very accurate).

So if you're not sure about the watch, you can start out buying the chest strap b/t HRM and see how you like it jogging while watching your phone. I did that for over a year before I got my watch. But I liked it much better after I added the watch to the setup... it is much more natural to look at your watch frequently than your phone. And personally I love all the other things the watch can do. At $99 for Moto 360 G1 or $130 for a Zenwatch, it's a bargain imo but I guess it's not for everyone.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  8. W1nterFr0st

W1nterFr0st Member

I almost got one a few weeks back but changed my mind. I am guessing there will be new released soon enough for the spring so I am going to hold out and hope something better comes along... not that there is anything wrong with the 360 XD

9. EdwardSmith36

EdwardSmith36 Active Member

Frankly speaking, I was about to use moto 360 as it got heart rate monitor which is so useful while exercising. I really don't about other android wear which is far better than this.

10. Chelsie_Sweet

Chelsie_Sweet Member

Honestly, I just heard about Moto 360 and I get curious about that kind of Android wear. It seems pretty cool because you can do your activities and its a cool gadget. I like the GPS for tracking pace when running and likewise a display that is easy to read. I just hope, I could have one.