• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone use their Android phone as the main internet connection

elric999uk

Feb 22, 2011
UK
Hi all, now this may sound like a crazy scenario but here goes anyway

I want to get rid of my landline, i only use it to get web access but I get a 4-6Mb via three and my GNex so i don't really need a landline to provide me with web access anymore.

I do however want to keep using netflix on my PS3 and streaming Youtube to my TV. I've an old Netgear D834GT router which doesn't appear to be able to connect to my phone to share it's web access.

So two questions

1. does anyone use only their mobile for web access for their home set up, if so how did you do it?
2. does anyone think i'm insane for even considering this :)

I fully intend to upgrade to three's One Plan to allow unlimited tethering if i can get this set up

Would love to hear any comments or suggestions for getting this up and running, i'm more than happy to nip off and buy some kit if need be.

Thanks

E

i use tethering for my main INTERNET. im in sw Florida no 4g it sux. bt with a tower right up the road the 3g speeds are phenomenal. you can use ICS (internet connection sharing) to get internet to the router and get inet to your other devices. i have had really good luck with this. am on boost mobile and the speeds are good. not high def streaming by no means but doesn't bother me a bit.

Reactions: elric999uk
Upvote 0
So two questions

1. does anyone use only their mobile for web access for their home set up, if so how did you do it?

Some people can get away with just a cell phone. Some of my friends do everything they need to do with just one device and no land line.

Some tether their laptops and for a time, that works well, for a time. It depends on your needs and your contract. One provider advertises a legitimately legitimate unlimited data plan.

Not sure how they would deal with people like me that would use 250 gigs every few weeks in some cases, a tad more. And that is not much data these days. If I buy a new machine to hold everything I have, I wonder how practicable it will be to upload a terabyte of data to online backup and storage using my cell phone or broadband adapter.

But for some of us, tethering is out of the question because we would quickly reach our limits. Yesterday, I downloaded some work stuff. Twenty two one hour videos and a big pile of documents filled with engineering drawings. Lots of files.

I am glad I have a reliable Internet connection that did not depend on Cricket and/or Virgin Mobile.

As time moves forward, there could be a demand for a one connection for everything deal. Perhaps people want that today. I am already one of the last people with a land line.

Reactions: elric999uk
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies all. I think I will give it a go. I've done a bit more research and it does look like I'm not going to be able to link my existing router to the phone.

I've streamed a HD movie on a set top box using the WiFi hotspot on the phone, which got really hot. I think I'll hook the phone via bluetooth to the PC then use Internet conection sharing to to handle the dhcp etc for the rest of the network as I have 3 NAS boxes, the set top box, the PS3, sky box and 2 other PC's which all need access too.

Upvote 0
I fully intend to upgrade to three's One Plan to allow unlimited tethering if i can get this set up

Something to keep in mind, is this "unlimited" or "unlimited*"?

* unlimited, subject to our fair usage policy.
* unlimited, you will be billed 10 pounds for every 1GB used.
* unlimited, however if you use more than 3GB, we reserve the right to throttle your bandwith.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Hi all, now this may sound like a crazy scenario but here goes anyway

I want to get rid of my landline, i only use it to get web access but I get a 4-6Mb via three and my GNex so i don't really need a landline to provide me with web access anymore.

I do however want to keep using netflix on my PS3 and streaming Youtube to my TV. I've an old Netgear D834GT router which doesn't appear to be able to connect to my phone to share it's web access.

So two questions

Would love to hear any comments or suggestions for getting this up and running, i'm more than happy to nip off and buy some kit if need be.

Thanks

E

My phone is my only connection

I have the droid Bionic, it has webtop mode and hdmi mirroring.

I even found a way to hook up a 1tb hard drive to copy files back and forth to! lol

Upvote 0
I like to download legal torrents, from sources such as etree. I live near an interstate, but too far from town for cable or dsl. Even satellite isn't available, no installers in area. I can see a truck stop and highway from my house though, and cdma signal isn't bad. Web browsing, facebook, e-mail etc are more than adequate, only torrents are slow or just stop frequently. I tether to a pc, which is allowed by my carrier. I recently installed surfanonymous-free, and so far so good. Noticeable improvement. BTW, I am mot affiliated with them at all, I just like their product and I'm sure many people have the same problem with torrents, even legal ones. I also use PDANET and have since my first Cliq. The latest version is slightly buggy, but my phone is a new model, but I'm sure next update will fix those issues.

BTW, in 2008 AT&T offered $20 unlimited 3g prepaid, and couldn't detect tethering. They dropped that after about six months, after using youtube and xm radio as selling points for the $250+ Sony Ericcson phones. Price went up to $20 oer 100 gigs next, making youtube and other built-in features useless. Even a jump from $20 monthly to $50 or $60 would have been reasonable, but $20 per 100m on a phone that averaged well over 1m per second was just rotten. AT&T is really holding back development with their data policies, developers have to be very careful about app data usage now.

Upvote 0
Only problem for me, is when I want to leave the computer on while I'm at work, either downloading something, or for me to remote into from work if needed. Can't really do what without leaving my phone home. But other times, I've used it just fine. Also, be ready to need a new battery sooner than later, as you'll have that thing plugged in constantly, and it'll probably effect life over time.

Upvote 0
I use my mobile phone for my internet connection and no other. There is a household internet connection but I have nothing to do with this (I share a house).

Now I'm on 3's All You Can Eat data plan which allows me a massive 80Gb data allowance, although it is much slower than a home internet connection, it is perfect for browsing and the odd download. I can't really play online games either as the ping is huge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones