Does anyone use Wireless tether for home computer?

Last Updated:

1. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to save money right now because things are tight and I was thinking about getting rid of my cable internet and using wireless tether for my home computer. I know its not going to be as fast but money is an issue right now. I was just curious if anyone used there Droid for there internet service and how it did.

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I would not advise it as the higher amount of home data usage might set off some bells and whistles allowing your provider to mess with your account due to breaking the terms of agreement. I only tether as a contingency for when my cable goes down.

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Your home cable bill might go away but when VZW starts sniffing into what you've been doing they can hit you with charges by the MB.

4. alnova1

I was worried about that.

5. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i agree with shrink. you home pc will use much more data to render the images and content. i only tether while on trips to send long emails or to do a more comfortable web search.

6. alnova1

Guess I will come up with something else then.

7. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

check with your phone or PC (if you have a wireless card) if any neighbors have an open wireless connection. you could just jump on that.

8. alnova1

No open networks around me..already checked.

9. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion: Call your cable company and tell them you are planning on disconnecting service because the local satellite or DSL company has given you a better offer. I do this with Comcast just about every 6 months. You can be almost guaranteed that they will come down in price (they will probably connect you to their retention department). I save about $20 a month and when they stop giving the discount (usually after about 6 months) I start over again. If whoever you speak with says they can't do anything ask to speak to a manager. Desperate times require desperate measures :cool:

10. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I think it also depends on how much data you use. I would agree with everyone if you use a lot of data. But, if you hardly use it, then I wouldn't worry about it. I know some people only get on their computer about once a week and use it for email only. If your one of those people, then I would go for the tether option. It's all about the data usage.

11. vr6dubbin

vr6dubbin Well-Known Member

I only use it when my internet is out for any reason, and someone else needs to use their laptop here.. For myself, I just use USB tethering.

12. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

FYI - Most ISP's have an 'economy' or 'lite' plan for little money, even if it's not advertised openly. Speed will be much slower, but the price will be much lower. Ask a CSR about it.

13. snowman9031

snowman9031 Well-Known Member

I nvr use it unless I am somewhere that has no wifi and I keep it in the back of my mind. Verizon will make you grab ur ankle with no reach around. :eek: