• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone user the trackball?

Well, after much consideration & typically with me, getting a bit fidgety with everything running smoothly :)rolleyes:), I fancied rooting my phone.

Didn't want to go for the Sense ROM yet (too early and many bugs), so stumped for Cyanogen's latest Vanilla ROM build.

The process was a bit nerve-wracking for a non techie but managed to follow the written and video guides & hey presto, the trackballs glow different colours! I think the only one I can now change is the Messaging colour (haven't yet worked out how to manipulate the other ones.

Phone runs faster as well, plus I have wired tethering to a laptop using the phone.

See the thread at the top of the Nexus One forum if you want to find out any more.

runs "faster"??? wow...that's gotta be really fast...phone is already so much quicker than others.

Upvote 0
runs "faster"??? wow...that's gotta be really fast...phone is already so much quicker than others.

You have to experience it to believe it but yes, Cyanogen's ROM is faster. It blows my freaking mind.

I use it for the camera all the time. Selecting text, editing text. And mine has the beautimus colors thanks to the custom ROM. I'll have to look into screenmode. Been looking for a solution to make it wake the screen. Used LockBot for a while but it was too buggy.

Upvote 0
I use the trackball all the time... fine text selection... but also something, when one handing the phone, reaching the top of the screen with my thumb is more a pain (and something just too awkward depending how I'm holding the phone and if i have a cup or whatever in my other hand that i just can't drop at that moment)... that just moving my thumb over and using the trackball is a super nice feature... i'm glad it's there... wouldn't have it any other way... great ergonomic thinking on HTC's part... i'd hate to have a Droid for this reason...

Upvote 0
I use it for camera. And I like to look at it. I look at the trackball all the time to know if there is a missed call or new email. As someone above mentioned, you can change the color of the trackball for different notifications(requires root). I know instantly whether it's an email, message or missed call by looking at the trackball. It's really cool!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones