Does Auto sync and background data need "always on mobile data"?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wardogz, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hi

If "always on mobile data" is disabled, will this have any affect on programs that are set to auto sync with back ground data enabled(Face book, twitter etc) ?

I'm trying to work it out but lots of people say different things, can anyone confirm this for me?

Cheers!

Advertisement

2. Wardogz

Apr 21, 2010
    Any help would be much appreciated!

3. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Not sure. You could test it by turning off 'Always on' mobile internet and trying a manual update/sync all (or set Facebook or Twitter to update every few minutes) and see if the apps update. You may get an error message saying that mobile internet needs to be enabled, either way if it nothing updates you have your answer :)

EDIT: "Disabling always-on mobile data may cause connectivity problems in some applications. Please use the manual refresh feature in applications to update online data"

So, it looks like the apps won't sync automatically with always-on turned off, but it will let you connect and sync if you refresh manually using the apps manual update feature.

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    You may use more power in keep re-establishing the connection.

5. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Maybe....it depends on how often a connection is needed. Manual sync every hour would warrant leaving internet always on, but every 6 hours it can probably be left off.

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I use this option and everything seems to sync fine. The mobile data connection sleeps until used but it wakes when needed. The statement above may bemore of a disclaimer

7. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    You're almost right danfrance, what disabling this actually does is turn off mobile data when you lock the phone then re-enable it when you unlock the phone so if you check your phone regularly you will use a lot of juice re establishing the connection

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Ah wasn't aware of that. Thanks

9. Wardogz

Apr 21, 2010
    Okay, 4 hours in with Always on mobile data enabled and I still have full bars on my battery.

I'm guessing the battery will only suffer if I have lots of apps using the data in the back ground, but simply leaving the setting on with out any apps feeding data has no real affect on the battery.

All I have is Facebook, Twitter and Gmail on auto sync. Facebook and Twitter snyc every 8 hours.

So far so good then!

I'm convinced most peoples poor battery issues are linked with power hungry apps running in the back ground.

10. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    The major battery killer I have found is being in an area with a very weak 3G signal. It causes the phone to switch between 2G & 3G constantly so the phone has to work harder and use more battery to maintain good reception (True of all phones).

The Answer? - Switch to 2g (GSM Only) when you are in that situation (Does wonders for my battery life while in the office)

11. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    England
    Sorry, bit confoozed. So are we saying that syncing of Gmail, calendar, etc, will only take place if Mobile Internet is activated? What about wifi? won't it sync then? And if you have both wifi and MI on, will you still be paying data useage or will wifi override that?

12. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Not sure about the syncing but wifi always overrides MI

13. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    That's not actually true.

I have always had 'Always on mobile data' unticked and my mail app will still go looking for mail once per hour wether the phone is locked or not. I'll still get mail alerts regardless of how long the phone has been locked.

If your theory were true, then I'd never get any mail alerts until I unlocked my phone.

14. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Luton UK
    Yes, that's the way it works.

15. djqwikcut

djqwikcut Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2010
    I know this is an old thread but I need to ask as I am trying some battery saver apps....

I am on an EVO with 2.3.3 .. if I leave background data OFF but the autosync ON, will all my apps with set times for sync automatically sync and get data? by that I mean, when an app needs to sync and it sees background data is off, will it turn on, SYNC and then turn back off?

I am testing a program called BATTERYXL and it has an option in screen ON and screen off to turn off DATA and/OR SYNC.. I have data set to come on when screen is turned on but sync is set to OFF for screen on and off. HOWEVER, I have the program set to every 2 hours to turn data on and sync ON. I dont know if it will SYNC or not...

would I be better leaving SYNC on with a battery saver program so that even if the battery saver program has turned off the data, I will still sync according to my schedule and get my email, facebook, weather, etc?

Tags: