Does boost throttle down data speeds?

Last Updated: 2012-05-29 18:38:00
  1. billyrebo

billyrebo New Member

I was wondering if boost mobile throttles down data speeds after using a set amount of data? I currently use virgin mobile and hear that they will soon throttle down speeds after 2.5 gigs. does anyone know if boost plans to do the same?

Advertisement
  2. Topken

Topken Well-Known Member

Considering i get a very crappy 10kbps with boost mobile i hardly use any data through them as i mainly use wifi when i am here at home.
  3. craZDude

craZDude Well-Known Member

I do not believe there is any throttling on the Boost network. I haven't been able to find any official statements one way or another, so it may be that Boost does it without advertising they do. Perhaps a current Boost user can confirm?
  4. matthmelk

matthmelk Member

i use my boost zte as my modem and have downloaded many things with no problem, so I do not think they throttle down anything.
  5. craZDude

craZDude Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks! I'm glad to hear that :) I'll be either getting boost or virgin this summer, so it helps me to choose which one!
  6. 041112

041112 Member

_
  7. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Well-Known Member Developer

No boost does not throttle down speeds when they say unlimited your getting unlimited so dont worry about boost doing it
  8. jwmcfadden

jwmcfadden Member

HTC Evo Design 4G | Boost Mobile

i can't believe people are saying that boost doesn't throttle data...don't you think everyone would have boost?

They clearly state in the terms of agreement (which i posted a link to above)
    That they"reserve the right to throttle after 2.5g....the whole policy is explained in great detail....READ THE FINE PRINT, PEOPLE....
  9. jwmcfadden

jwmcfadden Member

How can you not read the fine print? The link below clearly lays out boost mobiles throttling policy.

Read the terms of agreement on this link

HTC Evo Design 4G | Boost Mobile
  10. inigomontoyasr

inigomontoyasr Well-Known Member

believe. it's alright. the reception is a bit spottier than sprint post-paid, there is no roaming allowed and there is a lack of 'prestige' associated with the Boost Mobile brand for some people so no, i don't think everyone would have boost. thanks for asking, though.

they haven't throttled data for anyone yet and they won't until the evo is available (read the terms). this thread was about existing policy, not future. try not to yell at anyone. thanks.
  11. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

That's higher than what i get. There is barely anything to throttle. :p:laugh:
  12. kolosus

kolosus Well-Known Member

Edit: Pulled my initial comment. It's already been said.
  13. BadWolf47

BadWolf47 Active Member

I'll be checking out T-Mobile when this takes effect. Since the Phoenix area apparently has no WiMax coverage, and they' re going to throttle the 3G I'm stuck with, might as well move on!
  14. Jinseru

Jinseru Active Member

I get the worst speed. I'm debating on canceling the service just because if I'm paying for 3g. I expect to get it... or at least somewhat close.
  15. kolosus

kolosus Well-Known Member

Just be careful of where you're going. There is no company that does NOT throttle at some point or another. Lots of MVNOs advertise "unlimited" but their data caps are still in place. H2O will pull your data at 2gb/month. Simple Mobile at 3gb/month. Straight Talk will say unlimited but if you pull to much data (and there seems to no general concessus) they'll turn your account off without warning. They might even make it impossible for you to port your number out of their service.

I get 175kbps on very good days. Mostly that speed. I'm staying with boost. I can put up with the occasional quirks rather than out of the frying pot into the fire.
  16. Jinseru

Jinseru Active Member

Well I just activated this phone on Saturday and the service is already running this slow. I know I haven't downloaded anything severe and I'm even willing to say I've used less than 100mb, but I'm still only getting like 156k down. Ridiculous.
  17. htowler

htowler Member

that is about average with Sprint Towers
  18. Jinseru

Jinseru Active Member

Well it was faster when I actually was on a sprint phone on the same towers.
  19. MiguelAMX

MiguelAMX Well-Known Member

I am assuming you mean 4G ? Yes this is stated on their site. Boost Mobile never said they would allow 2.5 GB unlimited 4G. 2.5 GB should be used for apps and browsing, I suggest Opera mini to save data!
  20. Jinseru

Jinseru Active Member

Yeah opera mini makes a huge difference over time saving data.