Does choosing "Charge Only" when you plug into a USB port act like "Disk Drive" also?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Even though I choose "Charge Only" when i plug the phone in, it still treats it like if I had chosen "Disk Drive". I'm not able to access my SD card when i want to do things with the phone.

Advertisement
  2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

To answer your question, no, it is not supposed to do that.

Go into "Settings" + "Connect to PC" + "Default connection type" and pick what you want. It sounds like it may already be on "Disk Drive" and you're not choosing "Charge only" fast enough when it comes up to ask you and therefore going right to the default .. which in your case is probably "Disk drive". So what is your default set at?

3. PSULightingGuy

PSULightingGuy Active Member

Also, I had this problem occasionally and the only thing I can think of was somethng to do with the ROM I was running (Rooted) plus USB Debugging... Or maybe it was an App and USB Debugging... What ROM are you on (if any) and is USB Debugging turned on?

4. tracerit

i looked at the default already, its on the correct setting. Default is "Charge Only" and I have "Ask Me"checked also because sometimes I want to choose.

5. tracerit

no ROM, and USB debugging is off.

6. Misbehavin'

Misbehavin' Well-Known Member

You don't have to use the "Ask Me" option. Pick your default, then if you want to change, just drag down the notification bar after you plug it in, and click on the USB icon. You can change it back and forth using this method, and yet not have to acknowledge what you want to do when you first plug it up.

7. mark0695

mark0695 Member

I get this all the time too and i choose charge only. what i do is once it mounts it i just go back and choose as a disk drive and then go back again and do charge only and then it frees up the sd card.

8. blckz28

blckz28 Member

Do you have DoubleTwist installed? It has a setting to automatically enable USB drive mode.

fozzie, Loonytunes, scudder and 2 others like this.
  9. mark0695

mark0695 Member

good find. That fixed my problem and i dont have to do the whole steps as i stated before. now i can just choose charge only and it works right

10. tracerit

i do have doubletwist installed! and turning it off fixed my problem! thanks! :)

11. tjubb

tjubb Active Member

THANKS! That worked! I was going nuts as to why my connection was going DISK DRIVE every time I connected even though CHARGE ONLY was set as my default.