Does FroYo make Touchdown unnecessary?

Last Updated:

1. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

May 17, 2010
    I'm on the last day of my 30-day trial of Touchdown, and I just upgraded to FroYo, which was touted to have better Exchange support. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any specifics as to what this entails. Can anyone speak to how the support has been improved? I don't do a lot of email work from my phone, but TD has come in handy for checking on work emails and being able to access my work calendar (although it doesn't check ALL of them.) Still, if I can save $20 and just use FroYo and get similar results, I'd prefer to do that.

Any opinions?

2. mindfrost82

mindfrost82 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Touchdown still has its place and it depends on what all you need.

I only have one calendar on my Exchange and it syncs fine and now it goes into the default Android Calendar instead of needing that CorpCal apk.

Email support is still limited. You can browse folders but it still only shows you up to 1 month of emails in each folder and it downloads/syncs the folder each time you go into it. Touchdown will sync and download all emails so they're available offline and you can sync more than 1 month's worth.

Contact support is the same. I have different contact "folders" on my Exchange, but Froyo only sees the main one. Not sure if Touchdown supports this or not.

Touchdown offers a lot more options, but if you just want basic email and the functions I mentioned above are fine, then I would just use Froyo.