1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Google charge a dollar for every app you buy?

Last Updated:

1. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just curious, I have a charge from Google for a buck, over and above the dollar I paid for the app.

Advertisement
  2. Edamame Guy

Edamame Guy Member

That doesnt make sense. Whatever the market says should be what you were charged... Atleast thats my experience with it.

3. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

My card did that a couple of times. Havent done it in a while though.

Just watch your account and it should go back on. Its just to make sure you have a valid account.

A lot of hotels do the same thing.

4. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

This happened to me the first time I bought an app. They took

5. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

hi
    i have bought three apps and paid with my UK debit card via google checkout. each time i have been charge a

6. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to my first foray into Android (and smartphones as a whole) w/ the Droid.

Do you have to pay for all apps? Or our there more than a few decent apps worth having that don't have a charge? Also, when you buy an app, is it applied to your phone bill, or do you have to have something akin to PayPal?

7. RBolduc625

RBolduc625 New Member

The buck that your cards are being charged is just so the Android store can verify that your account at whatever bank you say you have does indeed exist. it would be posted as a memo purchase but never actually charge your account.

This SHOULD only happen the first time.

8. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

there's a lot of good free apps on the market (as well as bad of course), i haven't paid for a single one

9. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot!

I currently have an LG Dare and b/c of it being an all touch phone, it often drew comparisons (however unfairly) to the iDont (haha, my first time using that term). One of the consensus gripes was the lack of apps and the pricing of any of the decent ones. They would cost anywhere from $2 to $20 dollars, and many were monthly charges.

10. HTC magic

HTC magic Member

70% of the money the app is bought for goes to the developer and the other 30% to the carrier.

So mabye the price we see is what we pay the developer, so like they've calculated it.

(Thanks to those who corrected my error, I couldn't remember wether it was google or not got the money so I said google to compensate for this)

11. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

There are more than 10K apps in the Market today. Not all are available in every country though right now.

Apps that cost money via the market are the full retail/money collected. Currently you use Google Checkout to make a purchase. The app price is set by the developer. The app revenue share is split between the dev and the carrier. Google does not share in it. Most goes to the developer, if you like a lite version, support the dev.

In the future it appears Tmobile will be the first company to allow you to bill your mobile account, by passing Google Checkout.